Chapter 20: The Clean Up Service

'Stacey!'

John reached out instantly and pulled her inside, he was strong enough to hold her.

'Fucking hell!'

She wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, not caring if she was suffocating him. He was down here fighting to keep her safe whilst all the while she was far from it.
He managed to pull her away and examine the front of her.

'What the- how did this-'.

'A guy must have gone past you, he found me and chased me out onto the roof and...'.

Stacey wasn't so sure what else to say, but she knew that John had figured it out, 'fucking hell', he cupped her face, 'I'm so sorry, I-'.

'You're fine John, I sorted him out myself... This isn't my blood by the way'.

'I'm impressed but that doesn't change the fact that I let someone get past me... I almost lost you'.

Sofia appeared, gently place onto the table, 'you hid in my office... You hid under my study table and found my gun and ammo'.
It wasn't even a question, Sofia wasn't dumb, she had figured out what had happened.
John's eyes grew wide, 'you shot at him?'
Stacey nodded, 'he would've killed me if...'., John wrapped his arms around her tightly, 'I know...'.

'Wait... So you were on the roof then?'

Sofia asked this time and Stacey nodded, 'yeah... If you were wondering where that grenade from... You're welcome I guess?'
John and pulled away by then, and Stacey found it quite funny when she saw their shocked expressions.

'Kay, when I killed the guy, I found some grenades on him and- you know what happened'.

John cocked an eyebrow at her and Stacey felt her face grow hot, 'I guess watching action movies really payed off huh?'

+

He had explained everything, but not before he made you promise to be with him, and Stacey understood, she now knew too much. He had no choice but to tell her after her near-death experience.

Sofia had made a phone cal not too long ago, and Stacey froze when she heard a knock on the door, though the knock came at certain intervals.
With that, Sofia opened the door and greeted the strangers.

'Who're they?'

Stacey ask as she craned her neck out to get a better look. John smirked, 'the cleaners'.

It took Stacey a few moments before laughing, 'are you kidding me? Cleaners? You guys actually have those!?'

'Of course, otherwise we would've been found out a while ago'.

Stacey chuckled, 'and then we would never had met...', that hit Stacey a little harder than she thought as she thought about her life without him... If he wasn't her neighbour, if he was dead... Or somewhere else.
She felt a gentle hand on her cheek, John had caught onto her sudden silence.

'Hey'.

He was gentle, always gentle.
And he was gentle when he pulled her into an embrace when Stacey fell apart.