"Are you that desperate?"

Eli went to work and Tess and I went into town to do some shopping and get groceries.

Now, we are laying at the lake, our skin still wet from just being in the water. There are many clouds scattered in the sky today so it's easier for me to tan out in the open and not under a tree. Eli asked me earlier if I would like to go to dinner with him tomorrow. I said yes. Surprise.

"Do you know where he is taking you?" Tess asks.

"You mean which restaurant?"

"Yup."

"Nope, no idea. Not that I would know any of the restaurants here anyway."

She laughs a little. "Right, that's true."

"I'm sure he will pick a nice one."

"Are you excited? Nervous?"

"A little. I haven't been on a real date in a while. Even though I would count some of our outings as dates, I guess."

"You seem happy when you're with him."

"I am," I admit with a smile.

"Has your family contacted you lately?" she inquires with a frown. Tess knows about my complicated or rather nonexistent relationship with my parents.

"Not my parents. My sister sent me a few messages a couple days ago, asking how my summer is going. She went to Barbados over the summer with our parents, living the dream, according to her," I tell her.

"They didn't think to invite you? Did they know you had plans with me then?" she asks with a bewildered look on her face.

"No and no."

"God, your parents suck."

"Yeah, tell me about it," I mutter while picking at the grass on the ground.

After a few moments of silence, Tess speaks again. "You know who's coming back today, right?"

"Who?"

"Tommy."

I grimace. "Ugh, please no."

Tess and I are preparing a nice dinner for when Bennett and Eli come back from work. We're making different salads, spreads, and finger food and we bake homemade baguettes from scratch. It smells heavenly in the kitchen and I can't wait to dig in later. We are blasting some pop song that Tess likes and dance around the kitchen without a care.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings. We look at each other in confusion before the bell rings again. And again.

"Yes, yes we're coming. Fucking calm down!" Tess yells while she moves over to the stereo to turn off the music. I hurry to the door and open it just as my bestie joins me in the hallway. On the other side of the door is someone I wish I wouldn't have to see again. Ever.

"Hey ladies," Tommy smirks, looking us up and down. "Missed me?"

"Fuck no," I quietly say and visibly shudder.

"Why the hell are you ringing the doorbell, you live here," Tess deadpans at him.

"I forgot my keys, feisty lady." He shoulders his way past us and into the house.

"Smells amazing in here, I guess you are good at what women do best, huh?"

I wish I could wipe that shit-eating grin off his damn face. "If you won't be able to talk like a decent human being, you won't get any food."

"We'll see about that," he murmurs. "Where are the guys?"

"At work," I state.

"They should be home in an hour, then we'll eat," Tess adds, slapping Tommy's hand that goes to grab a piece of bread.