"What if he lies to me?"

After storming through the front door and up the stairs, I lock myself into my room. Tears are falling, my hands are shaking and I force myself to take deep breaths. 

Fuck!

This is absolutely not how I imagined things would go. He is going to be a dad. To Janet's baby. Their baby.

All these times Eli left at night or randomly throughout the day to meet up with his lawyer - was he actually sleeping with Janet? 

I wipe away the tears with my sleeve and take another deep inhale. Okay, Romy. Calm down. You got this.

I going to go home. Now. I need space and time to think and I can't do that anywhere here. My heart hurts thinking about leaving here sooner than planned but I am so fucking confused right now. Maybe I should let him explain. What is there to explain, though? No, not this time. I am too naive and gullible, always seeing the good in people no matter what. I fell on my face with Leon and my parents, and I am not going to do it with Eli. 

My hurt turns into anger and I pull my duffel bag from under the bed, then rip open the wardrobe. Trying to be neat but not having any spare energy to actually care, I hastily fold my clothes and stuff them into the bag.

I am halfway into collecting my toiletries when I hear loud knocks on my door.

"Romy, open the door. Please, darling." 

Eli. My throat tightens and my heart clenches but I shake my head and continue packing.

"Please Romy, open the door before I kick it down. You have to let me explain!" His voice is laced with anguish and he pounds harder against the wooden door.

"Stop it, you idiot! Let me talk to her." I can hear Tess snapping at Eli.

"Hey, babes. Are you alright in there?"

Fresh tears come rushing in at the gentle and caring voice of my best friend. God, I want to hug her.

"I'm getting worried, Romy. Please say something so we know you're alright."

"Please tell him to go away," I croak, trying to keep the sobs at bay.

"I did try, but he won't budge," Tess answers, annoyance clear in her tone.

"Can you come in? Only you," I ask quietly.

"Sure thing, babes." Her voice fades a little as she speaks the next words. "Ben, please hold him back for a second? Okay, you can open the door," she says, her voice now louder again.

I quickly unlock it and Tess rushes inside before she slams the door shut and locks it again.

"Dang, that man is relentless," she sighs and looks at me. "Oh, no Romy. Please don't cry." She immediately pulls me into a hug. Of course, her words make me cry even harder.

"He -h-e i-i-is hav- having a b-baby," I wail.

Tess rubs my back in soothing circles. "Shhh, I know. He's an ass."

"H-how did.. did you k-know?"

"Ben told me while you were out talking to him. We didn't know Janet showed up. I'm so sorry you had to hear it from her. He should've told you. Do you want me to kick his ass? I mean, I might not do much damage if I can't get him in the balls but I will certainly try if you want me to."

She takes me by the shoulder and takes a step back, looking me over. I just shake my head, not having it in me to laugh at what she said. Her eyes land on my nearly packed bag.

"You're leaving?" she asks.

"Yeah, I think so. I need some space from all of this. I am confused and don't know what to think or believe. It's all so fucked up, Tess."