"Who knows?"

Eli slept through breakfast. I considered waking him when everyone sat at the table because sleeping in a chair must be uncomfortable, especially for someone his size. I decided against it because I am still a little mad and because he needs to sleep. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have gone back to sleep if I had woken him up.

Tommy was the first to leave for work. Thank God for that. Bennett told me I could let Eli sleep and to tell him he can come into work whenever he's ready. Now it's just Tess and me in the kitchen, nursing our oat chai lattes. She looks at me with a calculating gaze.

"Are you and Eli still going to dinner tonight?" Tess suddenly asks. I look up from my cup furrowing my brows.

"I totally forgot about that," I admit. "I don't know, we haven't talked about it."

"You haven't talked to him at all yet?"

"We talked last night a little bit."

"Yeah, I figured when you weren't in bed with me this morning. How did it go?"

"Not good," I mumble.

"Ugh, come on, spill girly. I haven't got all day," Tess jests and I smile a little at her attitude.

"I don't know. I told him he chose her side over mine and he said that it was complicated and not true and that I don't have to protect him or some bullshit. Then he had the audacity to tell me he punched Tommy for me when I told him to just walk away and not start anything with him! Can you believe that?"

"I can," Tess retorts, surprising me. My mouth falls open but I quickly snap it shut and I look at her with narrowed eyes.

"What the hell, Tess? You're also not taking my side?"

"Of course, I am on your side, babes. But I think I know what's going on," she goes on in a calm voice.

"Enlighten me," I grumble and take a sip of my drink.

"I'm pretty sure his ego is hurt. Badly hurt."

"I don't think so," I snort. "That man is the most confident person I know."

"You really don't see it, don't you?" Tess asks, looking bewildered.

I shake my head and frown. "See what?"

"That must've been a tough situation for him yesterday, Romy. First, he has to listen to Tommy insult you and him and you scold him for defending you. Then his ex-wife shows up, putting him in his place in front of the new woman he's seeing, and after all that, the two of you get in a fight. Don't get me wrong, I know he didn't act perfect, by all means, but don't be too hard on him."

My frown deepens as I think about what she said.

"And when he said the situation was complicated, I think he's telling the truth. There has to be so much going on behind the scenes of a divorce that we all know nothing about. He's probably confused as hell, too. Poor bloke," she finishes.

"Why confused?" I ask her.

"He tried to be there for you when Tommy was being an ass and you told him not to but when his wife was being nasty, you wanted him to defend you."

Tess comes to stand next to me at the counter, takes my cup from me, and both of my hands in hers. She then looks deeply into my eyes, a soft look in them.

"Listen, most men like to feel needed and they also like to protect those they care about. I know you don't like to hear that and I know you can protect yourself most of the time but I think if you are being honest, you do feel safe with him and if that's the case you need to show him that. Let him know that you need him, hm?" she suggests.