"I don't bite."

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed after a good night's sleep. We never got to see Eli and his girlfriend last night. Ben said they were tired and just went to bed right away. Eli didn't even introduce himself. Of course, Tess started complaining about it and started telling Ben, once again, that he needs new friends. Looking at my phone, I see it's already 9 am. My stomach growls and I decide to wake up Tess to eat breakfast. I walk into our bathroom, which connects our two rooms. Grabbing my toothbrush, I start brushing my teeth and make my way into Tess's room. She is sound asleep and I crawl onto her bed and start jumping up and down on it. She groans, tosses and turns and tries to kick me off her bed.

"Stop it, Romy! You are the worst best friend in the world, let me sleep!"

"Aw, come on, Tess. That hurt," I try to say with my toothbrush in my mouth.

"I have no idea what you're saying. Get out of my bed!"

I jump off of her bed and go back into the bathroom to finish brushing my teeth. Back in my room, I put on some cotton shorts and a crop top and walk back into Tess's room. She's awake and on her phone.

"Come on, I'm hungry." I tug her covers from her body and she glares at me.

"Fine, fine. Go ahead, I'll be down in 10 minutes."

The kitchen is empty and as I walk to the fridge, I notice a note stuck to it.

Good morning, girls! I'm working on Saturdays so I won't be home until 5. Feel free to eat whatever you can find and if the weather is good, have a dip in the lake. See you later!

I wish I had a brother like him. Opening the fridge, I take out everything I need to make pancakes. They even have almond milk. I guess Tess told them to buy it because I'm lactose intolerant. I would've been fine with oat milk, though. It's cheaper. I have to remember to tell Tess or Ben that. Hearing footsteps walking into the kitchen, a smile graces my lips. Finally, Tess is up too. I don't turn around because I'm still looking for a large enough bowl.

"Welcome to the pancake party! I was waiting for you, what took you so long?"

"I'm sure you were," a male voice answers.

I let out a shriek and hastily turn around. Tommy is standing in the doorway, sporting a fat grin.

"You scared me," I say, hand on my heart.

"Sorry, princess, you don't have to be scared of me. I don't bite. I mean, I do but you know what I mean."

"Uh uh, sure. Well, I was waiting for Tess, not you."

"Ouch, you're hurting me, princess."

"Don't call me that."

"Why not, princess?"

I roll my eyes and turn around, resuming my search for a bowl. "Is the princess giving me the silent treatment?" Tommy teases and walks further into the kitchen.

"TESS! HELP ME PLEASE, NOW!" I scream from the top of my lungs, not sparing a glance at Tommy.

"Are you always this loud, princess?" he asks, raising his eyebrows and winking again when I turn to look at him.

"You know what? Maybe you should go and let a doctor take a look at your eye. Something seems to be really wrong with it."

"I'M COMING, JESUS! DO YOU HAVE TO YELL LIKE THAT?" Tess yells, stomping into the kitchen.

"You are yelling, too."

"Morning, Tessie." Tommy greets her.

"Could you leave? You are annoying me and my friend. This is girls time. Are you a girl?" Tess asks Tommy.