Advice from 2021 Grand Winner @Dante_greywolf

Hi, all! This is the first mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fiction in...

Hi, all! This is the first mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fiction in general.

The lovely Dante_greywolf, Grand Winner of the 2021 ONC, shared these answers with me last January. Please consider checking out Dante's work, especially if you're a fantasy fan!

Question One: What is one thing you wish you knew about the Open Novella Contest before you starting writing for it?

Because I only had three months to write the novella, I decided to set "The Last Werewolf" in my hometown [Antwerp]. I've lived here for thirty-two years- I know everything, right? No research needed.

Nope, I couldn't have been more wrong!

As the story progressed, I found myself losing a lot of time researching and studying maps. Vidar is also immortal and has lived in Antwerp for centuries, so whenever I referenced something from the past, I had to do research again. I learnt a lot about my hometown, so that was fun. But if I could do it all again, I would have done the research prior to ONC so I could focus solely on writing

Question Two: What's your best piece of advice or your favorite writing tip when it comes to working on novellas or entering your work into a contest?

I'm a slow writer, and those that have read my main fantasy series know that I like to take my time (pace-wise) to set up a scene, describe the scenery, and make small, gradual changes towards character growth (or their downfall, in case of one of my POVs).

I didn't have that luxury with a novella. Things had to move quickly. I limited myself to one POV, and I used a lot more exposition than I would have done in a full-length novel, just to get the basics of the world and the character across and get to the "good stuff."

So a tip I have for other ONC writers is to keep a steady pace, envision an end-goal that you work towards and don't get tempted by a side-plot that could be cool as well. You can always expand the story after ONC.

Also, know that judging books is really hard, and objective, and there is always a hint of subjectivity. Please be kind to the judges. If you didn't make it to the next round or the winners, it doesn't mean your story is bad.

Keep writing, and keep enjoying writing.