Advice from 2020 Winner @elveloy

Hello again! This is the third mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fictio...

Hello again! This is the third mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fiction in general.

In this installment, elveloy, Top 5 Winner of the 2020 ONC, tells all. Please consider checking out L.V's work, especially if you're a sci-fi/LGBTQ+ fiction fan!

Question One: What is one thing you wish you knew about the Open Novella Contest before you starting writing for it?

Remember the judges are human and will have their own tastes and preferences. If your story doesn't make the cut, don't give up! Take the time to check that you haven't made any obvious errors (like forgetting to submit it on the appropriate form!) and keep going. There will be lots of other people in the same boat.

Question Two: What's your best piece of advice or your favorite writing tip when it comes to working on novellas or entering your work into a contest?

One of the most important things in my opinion is to take the time to read and comment on other people's entries as you go.  This will help you develop a support group and ideally allow you to receive some useful feedback and support for your own work. One of the best things about the ONC, I think!

Cheers!