Advice from 2021 Winner @chaikovskiy

Hi all! This is the last mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fiction in g...

Hi all! This is the last mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fiction in general.

In this installment yours truly, chaikovskiy, Top 5 Winner of the 2021 ONC, tells all. If you're a fan of historical fiction or Eastern European settings, please be sure to check out some of my work!

Question One: What is one thing you wish you knew about the Open Novella Contest before you starting writing for it?

Honestly, I wish I knew how amazing the community is.

There is a whole host of veterans and newbies returning or joining the ONC every year and they are some of the most talented, genuine people I've connected with on Wattpad. Their willingness to read, engage via votes and comments, and participate makes them cornerstones of the ONC and it wouldn't be the same without them.

That being said, the community can also be a bit of a distraction to your deadlines. With 900+ stories under the #onc2023 tag , it can be tempting to add well-over one-hundred to your reading list(s). For this particular contest, it's important to prioritize yourself and work over others', though it may be hard because they're your writing buddies.

Question Two: What's your best piece of advice or your favorite writing tip when it comes to working on novellas or entering your work into a contest?

Keep your momentum up in any way possible... aka just keeping writing.

For me, I find it is easier to stay on task and finish a project if I can avoid losing momentum. While that's easier said than done, I've developed a few strategies and ways to keep new ideas and words flowing onto the page.

One of primary ways I keep momentum is simply by to write everyday. Even if you write a mere 100 or 250 words, those are words on the page that you've gotten through and finished. Writing daily, even if it's just that little bit, also allows you to keep working your writing skill and therefore build it.

Thinking of writing as a muscle that you don't want to let atrophy or waste away may also help keep you on task. I've also used a writing day streak tracker motivation to keep to this principle, as building a 10 or even 21 day streak of constant writing is so rewarding and motivating. Plus, the longer your streak goes, the less likely you'll want to break it, meaning you're more likely to keep to up with your writing goal/deadline.

Another more fun way to keep momentum up is to surround yourself with your story. Make Pinterest boards, playlists, art, covers, concept notes, world-building books, maps, etc. to generate visual/audial versions and ideas of your story. When combined, these extra materials can often help you get a specified version or idea of your story that will be stronger and more persistent in your mind.

I also suggest keeping a list of resources you can turn to when you get stuck on hand. Writer's block is real, but you can overcome it if you have tools to defeat it's force. These tools can be anything from writing craft videos, films/series that will inspire your story, coffee/tea, or a close network of writer friends to run ideas by.

Finally, be sure to remember that you are in fact a capable, committed writer. Believing in your ability and your process is one of the strongest ways to stay consistent. Nobody else can write your story, so you have to be the one to do it.

You've got this, I know you do. ♡