What makes a good ending?

So you've drafted the perfect beginning and middle to your novella meaning it's now time to write the ending! But how can you ensure it's a great one that'll leave your readers satisfied?

My advice is to study some of your favorite endings and see what they do well. Most have the similar key traits, or hallmarks, that I've covered below.

They don't end on cliff hangers.
An alternative to a jarring cliff hanger ending is to soften it to a micro-twist. A micro-twist can be a last minute reveal that frames the entire story in a whole new light or a reversal of the character's predicted path as they get closer and closer at the end. It is still fun and keeps tensions high until the end, but it isn't a trick.

They are conclusive.
Many ONC novellas fall into the trap of being abrupt. A prompt can only get you so far, and you have to develop it fully, i.e. you need to have a conclusive ending instead of using some plot-convenient device that wraps it up for you after the climax.

Endings that are conclusive as opposed to abrupt are the result of the main character's final choice in the climax (not an interference or last-minute save) and provide a glimpse into their future.

Think about setting up and writing your ending with the simple formula: Because the main character did X (x= choice in the climax/solving the story problem) they get Y (y= result of the choice in form of happiness/hinted future/etcetera).

They answer the story's dramatic question.
This trait ties into the previous one in that it's about story structure. The formula I provided connects to your story's dramatic question, that is, the question that addresses the central conflict the main character faces over the course of the story.

Example dramatic questions include; Will the star-crossed lovers end up together?; How will the serial killer be brought to justice?; Will the crew of thieves be able to pull off their heist? (These will be more character/conflict specific for you and your story.)

By answering your story's dramatic question and showing the explicit answer to your readers, you can ensure there will be resolution on the main arc. The challenge after that is to address your subplot arcs (side-romances, side-quests, etc.) while the main plot is winding down. This is commonly referred to "tying up loose threads."

Finally, I've linked a video from published YA author Alexa Donne below. I highly recommend watching it if you're looking for common ending types and some analysis surrounding why certain endings work and others don't.

Happy writing!