Advice from 2023 Winner @wdhenning

Welcome back! This is the seventh mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fic...

Welcome back! This is the seventh mini-interview in a series with past ONC winners who have volunteered to reveal what they wish they knew before they started on their award-winning novella as well as their pro-tip about writing novella-length fiction in general.

In this installment, @wdhenning, Top 5 Winner of the 2023 ONC, tells all. Please consider checking out their work, especially if you're a science fiction and or fantasy fan!

Question One: What is one thing you wish you knew about the Open Novella Contest before you starting writing for it?

There are an incredible number of authors who participate in the ONC (I am amazed that the ambassadors can pull off judging so many in a timely manner). Do it for the fun and experience. Statistically, you are not going to win (but hey, it can happen). Just completing a novella within the time allotment is a notable accomplishment. For the camaraderie and skill improvement, I suggest reading and supporting other authors who enter, and/or joining an ONC specific book club.

Question Two: What's your best piece of advice or your favorite writing tip when it comes to working on novellas or entering your work into a contest?

I'm a hardcore planner, but for a novella on a tight time schedule, I suggest that even pantsers create a story outline upfront. It is so easy to create too large a story scope within word count limits–the result may be that you have to end the story abruptly without fully resolving the plot, or you have to leave out truly immersive details. Another suggestion to create the best story you can, is to find a good critique partner (perhaps through a formal book club)–someone who will give you honest feedback with a critical eye.