Part 7

J of course did hear about it. Sooner than I would have liked. We hadn't even been upstairs an hour before he walked out of the elevator with Frost close behind. Harley and I had showered and changed as soon as we had gotten back. When I had gotten out of the shower I saw that my nose was starting to bruise. I swore and quickly pulled on some leggings and an oversized band tee. I quickly knocked on Harley's door. Her eyes widened when she saw the bruise forming on my nose.

"Help me." I pleaded.

She grabbed my wrist and quickly led me towards the kitchen. She grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and made me hold it against my nose. The gel pack covered my whole nose making me lean back and groan from the cold. Harley wasn't very sympathetic.

"Oh don't whine! You did this to yourself!" she whisper-yelled as she crossed her arms.

"I did not! If that pig hadn't whistled at me we wouldn't be in this situation," I replied in a slightly muffled voice.

"You didn't have to fight him!"

"If I didn't I would have just proved him right!"

"Well now you have a bruised nose! How do you plan on explaining that?"

"I ran into a wall!"

"Oh yea that bullshit is definitely going to work!"

And that's how J found us. Arguing in the kitchen with me perched on the counter holding an ice pack to my nose. I was shorter than Harley but being on the counter evened out our height difference so we were basically yelling in each other's faces. However, J didn't even have to raise his voice for us to hear him and shut up.

"What. Did. You. Do." He asked through clenched teeth.

Both off us snapped our heads in his direction with wide eyes. I still had the ice pack pressed against my nose and I'm sure we both looked like we had been caught with our hand in the cookie jar. We looked at each other and then back at him, scrambling for an answer.

"He didn't believe me when I told him you were working on a puzzle." Frost piped in dryly, "So he cut his meetings short to come check on you himself."

I decided that it wouldn't be fair to let Harley get punished for what I did so I sighed and spoke up,

"I got in a fight." I confessed as I looked down ashamed, "Harley told me not to and tried to make me leave but I didn't listen."

I lowered the ice pack from my nose so they could see the bruise. I was still looking down but I heard J growl. I watched his feet swiftly make their way across the kitchen floor till he was right in front of me. He tilted my face up and I saw his eyes darken. Without a word he scooped me off the counter and started carrying me to his room. I hid my face against his neck but I could hear Frost and Harley following us. Once we got to the door, J turned his head,

"I do not want to be disturbed. For any reason. I don't care if there's a fucking fire, no one bothers us." he growled.

Then he marched into the bedroom and headed towards the bathroom. He set me down on the counter and examined my nose more thoroughly.

"I don't think it's broken," I whispered, "I've had a broken nose before and it didn't feel like this."

He ignored me and continued examining my nose. He prodded at the bruise and the bridge of my nose as I winced. Finally he sighed and placed his arms on either side of me, caging me in,

"You're already in trouble princess, don't make it worse by lying to me." He said staring down at me.

Something inside me snapped. I wasn't sure if it was because this was the first time someone had cared enough to hold me accountable or if I was just feeling vulnerable. I had grown up in the Bronx with both parents working most of the time. As soon as I was in school I was walking home by myself through the neighborhood and staying home alone. As long as I wasn't seriously injured or dead, my parents didn't care very much.