❪ 𝟬𝟮𝟱 ❫

˚ ༘✶₊˚.                         ⊹ ˚ .  SECOND ACT
❪       TWENTY-FIVE    ♥︎    ₊˚༢࿐
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

  SECOND ACT❪       TWENTY-FIVE    ♥︎    ₊˚༢࿐▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

( talk of self–harm )

    THE WEATHER WAS HARSH TO THEM. So harsh that Mae felt blinded every time she opened her eyes. There had been a point in their journey where Winston had fallen in the sand, unwilling to give up on their friend the group had made a makeshift palanquin with metal pipes and sheets that they dragged on.

They set off for the mountains.

Teddy's eyes burned, his glasses doing nothing but gather sand as he stumbled around to find balance. Mae tried her best to stand in front of him, taking the hits as he curled his fists into her jacket.

"We need to find shelter!" Minho screams over the wind. Frypan nods in agreement.

They sit under a fallen T-shaped pillar, which was once connected to a big building that was now under the sand. Mae flopped down, pulling Teddy with her as he quickly reached up to rub his eyes.

"Here," She says softly. Mae hands him a canteen, her own that she had been saving. The boy had drank he's dry.

Teddy shakes his head, pushing it away, "That's yours," He says rawly.

"Take it," She insists, trying her best to give a reassuring smile against her chapped lips, "I'll be fine."

The boy frowned but takes it eagerly.

Noticing Thomas stand up, she watched curiously as he walked further down the path, stopping at the edge of a small sandhill and looking over the terrain.

"I'll be right back," She tells the group, getting to her feet to follow.

Thomas' expression was sunken. He seemed hopeless, but the second he saw Mae in the corner of his eyes, he sobered, not allowing her to see how panicked he truly was.

"We'll make it," She says beside him. Mae didn't need to see his expression to know how he felt. The blonde gives him a warm smile.

"Do you really believe that or are you trying to make me feel better?" He asked tiredly, flashing a knowing look.

She pretends to think, "Mm. Maybe a little bit of both," Mae sighs, giving his shoulder a soft squeeze, "You're doing your best."

"I never asked to be leader," He tells her, "I keep getting everyone killed."

She frowns, thinking for a moment, "If it wasn't for you, we'd all have died yesterday," She looks out to the sandy lands, the wind blowing her braid back as she took in the scenery, "If it wasn't for you, we'd still be behind those four walls."

"Yeah, but you'd still have Gally if it wasn't for me," He reminds her bluntly, tone faltering at his own words, "You'd still have Chuck, and Alby━"

"I wouldn't have you." She says firmly, looking at him. His eyes locked with hers and Thomas could've sworn his breath stopped short, "I wouldn't have Teddy, or. . .or freedom," Her eyes watered at the thought, "You've done a lot more good than you realize, Thomas."