❪ 𝟬𝟯𝟰 ❫

˚ ༘✶₊˚.                         ⊹ ˚ .  THIRD ACT
❪       THIRTY-FOUR    ♥︎    ₊˚༢࿐
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The next morning around noon, Mae had gathered her band of brothers for a trip up to the train tracks through Vince's map of the rocky terrain

The next morning around noon, Mae had gathered her band of brothers for a trip up to the train tracks through Vince's map of the rocky terrain. Newt and Peter were packed before Mae came to collect them, words falling short between the three when they had so much on their mind.

There was no room for mistakes.

Minho and Teddy's life depended on it.

Frypan had made to-go lunches for everyone before forcing Mae to sit and eat breakfast until they all parted ways. He had went on and on about how skinny she looks coming back. Mae rolls her eyes at him like always, eating what he made with a smile.

They bonded over how much they missed Gally.

It felt like they were the only two that did.

Now, they were hiking through the rocky terrain. Mae in front with a map in her hands, walkie on her belt buckle. Newt was only inches behind her, one hand holding his large backpack and the other at his side, fiddling with his fingers.

Peter and another boy named Aaron were chatting away about different foods that went good together. Their combos of canned meats and undercooked noodles seemed to make everyone's stomach grumble.

They fill the silence that sat between Mae and Newt.

"Do you think we're going to get him back?" Newt always breaks first, staring into the side of her face, "Or do you think this is a klunk plan like everyone else?"

Mae doesn't look back, squinting at the sun's heat, "Can never be too sure," She responds blandly, and for a second Newt almost thought she was being sarcastic, "Stopping a moving train, picking a specific container that has both Minho and Teddy, it's a one in ten chance that things go smoothly even with a single causality." 

Newt bit the inside of his cheek, "Can I get an optimistic answer? Or did you run out of those in the Glade?"

She looks at him, squinting to see his face, "Thomas and I spent months putting together this plan with Vince and Jorge, that's hours of dedication and hard work put into finding them. If anyone can pull this off, it's all of us. Like always. Good that?"

Newt smiles a little. He notes how Mae is learning to balance herself out more, coming down slowly from her high of violence after these last long months.