[03] no take backs

[03] NO TAKE BACKS

Elise was woken up at night to the sound of something smashing downstairs. Naturally, she grabbed the baseball bat in her wardrobe and stealthily descended the stairs. She didn't know if she'd have the guts to use the bat, but holding it was comforting.

Just as she reached the bottom of the stairs, she noticed a figure fiddling with the locks, fumbling about in the darkness. Elise raised the bat above her head and charge before she could think of another option, thwacking the figure on the back with the bat.

⠀⠀"OW!"

⠀⠀"Oh, shit, dad?" the baseball bat clattered to the floor as Elise reached for the light switch for the landing.

⠀⠀"I didn't want to wake you," he muttered, soothing his back. "There's been an emergency and I'm needed."

⠀⠀"What's happened?"

⠀⠀Her dad hesitated slightly before replying "It's not confirmed, but it could be a possible murder case."

And she thought this town was sleepy?

⠀⠀"Okay, well stay safe, dad." she sighed, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before picking up her bat and heading back up to bed.

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

Dressing up was not Elise's thing - she was definitely team comfort in the war between comfort and style. Today was her first day of school and she wanted to make a good impression without having to go all out. So Elise picked out a pair of shredded skinny jeans and an All Time Low t-shirt, paired with her dirty old vans and her mother's hand-me-down leather jacket.

Her dad wasn't home still, so she made herself toast which she ate in the car on the way to school.

Beacon Hills High was much bigger than her old school - they probably bad twice the amount of pupils here. Elise wouldn't let that intimidate her. She parked up her car in one of the last free spaces and grabbed her bag from the back seat. Elise was ready for anything this school could throw at her.

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

Nobody stared at her in the hallway, in fact, no one seemed to notice her. She didn't stand out and she wasn't very loud, she flew under the radar, and she liked it. After 10 minutes of hopeless searching she finally found her locker. Just as she was putting some of her new books into it, her ears picked up a familiar voice.

⠀⠀"Do you have any idea what's going on? Lydia is totally M.IA., Jackson looks like he's got a time bomb inserted into his face, another random guy's dead, and you have something to do about it!"

⠀⠀"Stiles?"

When she called his name, alerting him of her presence, he jumped out of skin. His phone clattered to the floor as he stared at her.

⠀⠀"Jesus, you scared the crap out of me," he muttered, picking up his phone.

⠀⠀"What do you mean another guy's dead? Who were you talking to?"

Stiles stared at her with a blank expression, at loss for words.

⠀⠀"I-it's this TV show me and Scott watch - Scott's my friend you met at the station - and this character just, like, died, and I was saying that he, uh, that Scott had something to do about it because he needs to come to mine so we can watch the next episode." he stuttered out, staring at her hopefully.

⠀⠀Elise, of course, didn't buy it. But for his sake, she pretended to. "Right, makes sense."

⠀⠀"So, hey, are you enjoying your first day?" he asked, initiating conversation.

⠀⠀"Oh, yeah it's great. I think I've forgotten how to make friends though." Elise smiled wearily.

⠀⠀"Well, I'm here, if you want. I mean, like, it's totally cool if you don't-" was he asking to be friends? Even after she broke into his dad's office and damaged his car?

⠀⠀"I'll consider it." she smiled. "Anyway, I still owe you money! You never turned up to collect."

⠀⠀"Oh, well I felt bad about taking it from you," he said, looking sheepish.

⠀⠀"What? But I damaged your car! I'm the one who should feel bad."

⠀⠀"No, no, it's fine honestly. I overreacted."

Elise gave him a skeptical look and took out her purse anyway.

⠀⠀"Here's $70, it's all I have but if it's not enough I can pay you back later."

Stiles stared at the money in her hand.

⠀⠀"You know, staring at it won't make it disappear."

⠀⠀He seemed to snap out of a trance and begin trying to make up another excuse. "But-"

⠀⠀"Shut up, Stilinski." she shoved the money into the back pocket of his jeans which caused him to flinch a little.

⠀⠀"No take backs." she warned, pointing a finger at him.

⠀⠀A smile played on his lips and be nodded, finally accepting it. "Thank you."

⠀⠀"If you have any change you can buy yourself an ice cream." she teased, standing on her tiptoes to ruffle his hair.

⠀⠀"On the one condition that I buy you some as well." he grinned daringly.

⠀⠀Elise scoffed. "One step at a time, Stiles. One step at a time."

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

based off of 1x05 "the tell"

I hope this isn't going too quick ahhh ??!? ??
also appreciate the gif what a babe
AND SHE TOUCHED THE BUTT kinda