[04] climbing the social ladder

[04] CLIMBING THE SOCIAL LADDER

⠀⠀"I've got to go in for over time for a week or so, honey." Elise's dad said as he kissed his daughter on the cheek.

⠀⠀"Why? What's happened?"

⠀⠀"There was a mountain lion loose in the school parking lot during the parent teacher conference. The Sheriff was injured."

⠀⠀"Is he okay?" Elise thought of Stiles, and she wondered if he was okay as well.

⠀⠀Matthew nodded. "He'll live."

Elise said goodbye to her dad and hurriedly changed into clothes for school. When she was running down her drive to hop in her car, she saw Stiles doing the exact same thing.

⠀⠀"Hey!" he waved at her with a big grin.

⠀⠀"Hey, Stiles, are you okay?" she asked as she wandered over to where his car was.

⠀⠀"I'm fine, why?" Obviously lying.

⠀⠀"I heard about your dad."

⠀⠀Stiles face fell a little and he looked at the ground. "Ah."

⠀⠀"Is he okay?"

⠀⠀"Yeah, he's doing fine - and to answer your first question truthfully: no, I'm kinda not okay. My dad got attacked by a mountain lion whilst my best friend was off sucking face with his girlfriend, when he should've been here-"

⠀⠀Elise placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping him. "Woah, woah, woah. Slow down. How about I drive you to school, yeah? You can rant to me all you want."

⠀⠀"Really?" he looked at her hopefully.

⠀⠀"Yes, now get in the goddamn car or we'll be late."

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

⠀⠀"You have a lot of cooped up emotions." Elise decided as they drove into the school parking lot. Just listening to Stiles vent had tired her out. She hasn't expected her drive to school to become a guidance counselling session - and he wasn't even paying her for it.

⠀⠀"Yeah, well, I suppose when your best friend is a-" he stopped abruptly, frowning to himself like he'd just lost his train of thought.

⠀⠀Elise waited for a moment for him to finish the sentence, but he sat frozen. "Is a?"

⠀⠀Stiles cleared his throat, "Is an asshole. Sometimes. A lot more recently."

⠀⠀Elise grinned. "You love him though. You guys are, like, brothers. I can see that and I've only known you both 3 days."

⠀⠀"Whatever," Stiles grumbled, jumping out of the car with her.

They walked up the steps together, Stiles mumbling to himself occasionally - probably about Scott. Suddenly his phone buzzed.

⠀⠀"It's Scott," he mumbled. "Wants to talk to me about last night."

⠀⠀"The key to a good relationship is communication." Elise said knowingly, tapping the side of her nose with her finger.

⠀⠀Stiles laughed and shook his head. "Maybe I should start paying you for your advice."

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

Elise thought she was completely and utterly prepared for Beacon Hills High, but she didn't see Lydia Martin coming.

She was sat in chemistry class when Lydia waltzed in, and the sight of her could've taken anyone's breath away. Long auburn curls fell over her shoulders perfectly, her complexion flawless and smooth. At first glance you might categorize her as just another mean girl, but as Lydia took a seat and the lesson progressed, Elise discovered that was not the case.

Lydia was in fact the brightest and most intelligent student in the whole class. She played it down, but watching her face as a student said the wrong answer was such a giveaway.

They had to partner up for a small experiment, and probably out of curiosity about the new girl, Lydia asked to be Elise's partner. Elise tried to keep up with Lydia, but Lydia was good, and practically did it all on her own in half the time. She used the rest of the time to interrogate Elise about her life.

After class, Elise was walking to her locker when her phone vibrated.

⠀⠀unknown number: party at mine tonight, 8pm, Oak Drive no.5, bring drinks

Lydia xo

Elise frowned at her phone. How in hell did Lydia get her number? Before she had time to think about it more, Stiles was standing in front of her.

⠀⠀"You okay?" he asked, noticing her expression.

⠀⠀"Oh, yeah, I just got a text from Lydia Martin, inviting me to a party?"

⠀⠀Stiles' mouth gawked open. "A-are you kidding?"

⠀⠀"Nope." she said, in disbelief herself.

Stiles' hand flew towards his pocket and he pulled out his phone, checking for a text. When his face noticeably fell, Elise felt a pang of guilt in her chest. She'd been at this school only 2 days and had already been invited to one of the most popular girls in schools party. Stiles had been here years, and had probably never even been acknowledged by Lydia Martin.

⠀⠀"Well, have fun!" he sighed with forced enthusiasm.

⠀⠀"I don't even know if I'm going to go."

⠀⠀"What? You have to go! This is your chance to climb up the social ladder, Elise! If you're not going for that, go for me." he said, giving her puppy dog eyes.

⠀⠀Elise laughed and nodded. "Fine, I'll go to the stupid party."

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

THIS WAS LAME I HATE MYSELF BUT ELISE N STILES ARE ALREADT MY FRIENDSHIP GOALS

also I only just noticed Elise is kinda spelt w the same letters as stiles but rearranged KINDA KINDA