Chapter 16 :" The Wedding "

Nine months later.

Swara looked at the blushing bride and felt her heart warm to see her sister so happy. The elusive Laksh Maheshwari ended up tying the knot after all. The guests gathered around the house were mildly surprised by the utter devotion in her brother in law face as he gazed at his wife.

Swara remembered the first time they met and how she had been adamant that Laksh would never date her sister. But she didn't feel that way anymore because she know her sister was happy with him and that was all she wanted for her.

Her Grandparents looked delighted as well. Her dada said he was finally happy to see one of his granddaughter get married. When Swara broke the news that Sanskar wasn't really her fiancée, her grandparents were concerned for her but never pushed her more for the reason.

Even thinking about him was painful to her. After all he left her without a word. Nine months ago, after breaking her heart. He took Laksh plans to travel and left her.

Swara at first was angry that he was running away, then she was sad and now she doesn't care about him. Not the least bit, if he could cut her out of his life that easily then he was never meant to be part of her life either.

But she did care for his mother who was the only one who kept glancing st the door waiting for him to arrive. He missed the wedding ceremony. Swara would have been disappointed in his tardiness if not for her relief that she won't have to face him yet.

Swara didn't like the fact that he still held a hold over her heart and mind. She didn't like even after 9 months, she was unable to fully forget him. She often spent sleepless nights wishing that night never happened, it was the most happiest day of her sister's life because Laksh and her got together that day but for Swara, it was the day Sanskar walked out of her life without a word.

"Are you okay Swara?" Ragini asked her and Swara was too lost in her thoughts she didn't notice her sister's presence until too late.

"I am great. Come on Ragini, can you not worry about me today. " Swara answered back because she didn't want to diminish her sister's happiness on her special day by sulking over her unhappiness.

"Of course I worry Swara, do you expect me to forget this is the first time you will see him since that day and you have yet to tell me what really happened between both of you, I would have never invited him to the wedding if not for Laksh" Ragini spoke up and Swara's heart warmed with her sister concern.

"Don't worry about me, now go and be with your husband" Swara answered and all but made Ragini leave her alone, so she can go back to sulking.

But she wasn't left alone for long because the next person by her side was someone Swara can't easily push away like her sister.

"Looks like he forget about us again ?" Sujatha Maheshwari spoke up and Swara could hear the sadness behind those words.

"He might have been caught on traffic" Swara reassured her lamely and that gained a hint of smile from Sanskar's mother.

Swara would have liked to distance herself from his mother because she wanted less reminders of him but it was nearly impossible over time because she knew they both shared a bond that was formed by missing someone they love.

Swara had admitted to herself long ago that she loved him so deeply that her heart never seem to mend back even months later.

Whenever Sujatha Maheshwari missed her son, she would barge into Swara's life in need of companionship and Swara didn't have the heart to reject her to protect her heart.

But she did laid down one ultimatum of never talking about him but even that rule seemed to be broken today, since they are here talking about him.

It was that unfortunate moment he choose to enter the house and Swara eyes landed on him first. She had been prepared or thought she could fake being indifferent to him today. But the sight of him with someone else crushed the remnants of her heart into pieces that she let out a gasp of surprise which was how Sujatha Maheshwari found out her son arrived.

Swara stood rooted in her place as Sujatha Maheshwari ran towards her son and hugged him. She stood rooted in her place when Sanskar's mom turned to hug the women beside him next, it felt like a betrayal of sorts towards their friendship.

Swara wished his mother had warned her about his girlfriend. She regretted her ultimatum of not talking about him because she regretted her naiveness of hoping that he would come back with an explanation that would make it alright between them.

She had hoped he would explain away his abandonment, she had hoped he would have fallen in love with her too and all it would take was her to find the forgiveness in her heart for him. She didn't expect to realize she never mattered to him in the least.

"That is the cousin he replaced me with, Uttara. Sujatha aunty niece" Laksh spoke up next to her and she felt like a fool for one not being aware of her surroundings that she didn't notice Laksh was beside her and two that everyone knew her heart so well that they rush to clarify or reassure her.

" I don't care" Swara replied back because she didn't want anyone to know the extent of relief she felt when Laksh clarified her misunderstanding.

"You do Swara and so does he about you. I can't say more than that without breaking his confidence but give him another chance please" Laksh spoke up making her more confused than before because Swara had asked Laksh few times about Sanskar's abandonment and he never let her know anything until now.

But before she could retaliate and say he never really cared about her. Because if someone cared about you, they don't abandon you and Sanskar Maheshwari did exactly that nine months ago. So when she spotted him making his way towards her.

All her previous courage failed her,  her stance to act indifferent didn't work because she ran away from him. 

                       ******************

Sanskar didn't know what he expected when he approached her. He did try to stay away from her path until she could get over the shock of seeing him because he noticed her first as soon as he entered his house.

When he saw Laksh talking to her, he knew his cousin might say something to ensure Swara didn't really hate him now that he is here. But Sanskar knew he deserved all of it. Still he made his way towards her in hopes she didn't really hate him.

One look at him approaching she ran away. The Swara he knew would have stayed her ground and acted like he was a stranger and Sanskar knew he had no moral ground to stand on when he abandoned her. But the knowledge that she ran to be away from him hurt inspire of it all.

"You missed the wedding" Laksh spoke up once he got nearer to him and Sanskar felt another friction of guilt for abandoning his cousin.

Laksh had to step up and take over Sanskar's share of work. Laksh never complained to him about it but the one thing he asked Sanskar was for him to present for his wedding and Sanskar failed to do that, he could say the flight getting delayed was not his fault but Sanskar did book the last possible flight because he didn't want to come earlier than necessary.

"I am sorry Laksh." Sanskar spoke up and he knew it won't make anything right but that is all he got for everyone of the people he disappointed in the last nine month. One word, Sorry.

                        ****************

Swara heard his footsteps first and she has hoped he would take the clue and avoid her as she wished but one hour had been the grace period he offered her before approaching her.

Swara had nine months of his silence but the last one hour brought forth all the emotions she suppressed in the act of indifference. Just the sight of him brought it all back and she hated that she loved him still and she hated that she was never really indifferent to his abandonment after all.

"Why?" She felt like a fool for asking him that one question. It made her look like she cared, it made her vulnerable towards him by admitting just how much he hurt her.

"Because I love you" he answered back turning her world upside down once again.

P.S:" I am so sorry for the delayed updates. I am trying to complete this one asap but it never works the way I want either. Let me know your thoughts and feedbacks. Hit the votes if you liked it"

Juanita Reid