Chapter 5 :" Lost Again"

Laksh Maheshwari had never experienced this level of anger towards anyone until now. He had been always interested in others and his interests lies in being socially active as possible and he had used his charm often to get other to confide in him about almost everything.

 It was why he was aware of Ragini and Swara story more than he should give they met only today. He knew Swara and Ragini were half sisters , he knew they met only two years ago after Swara's mother passed away, he knew Ragini's father was trying to get Swara to marry someone not suited for her and he knew all of it because that was all Ragini talked about on their date .

" Please don't blame my sister, she is very protective of me ", Ragini spoke up once he confessed to her that he has no interest to marry her then proceeded to spend the next one hour talking about her sister .

It was why he could hardly believe that the sister Ragini looks up to as bold and brave is the same person who refused to leave her father's house in spite of the threat to her life.

The same girl who stood up to him for his behavior which was harmless flirting failed to do the same when it happened to be her father who crimes were much more harmful .

They didn't have much time to talk sense to her as the moment his cousin broke her father fingers, he began to call police on them for assaulting him as if he didn't think the only person that needs to be arrested was him

"You are just like your mother, are you dating both of them? ", her father lashed at her instead of them. Exactly like a man who take advantage of those who can't over power him. 

" Talk of my mother again and you will be the one in jail before sunrise ",  She spoke up and he was  proud of her and realized Ragini had been right about her until she asked both of them to leave in the next sentence .

" You can't stay here with him, "Laksh argued but she refused to listen to him and promised him that her grandparents will be home soon and they need not fear about her safety

Even then Laksh insisted that Sanskar also stay in the car with him until her grandparents arrive but seeing her fragile grandpa in wheelchairs didn't leave him with much confidence either as the cousins drove back home .

" She is mad, she has gone mad. How can she stay with him?, as if her grandparents could protect her ",  Laksh grumbled towards his cousin who had retreated behind his silence .

And silence was all the answer he got from his cousin till they reached home and found their mother waiting for their arrival with expectant glances .

That moment he got a horrible idea, any other moment he would squash it with reasoning, but tonight he was so upset over everything that he went a little mad as he told his family that he is willing to marry Swara .

" Really, You want to marry her? "her mother almost fainted in surprise but before Laksh could explain he wants to marry Swara not his date Ragini, her Chachi joined in the chorus declaring her happiness .

" What about you Sanskar? , what do you think of Ragini. Did you like her ?" Sujatha aunty asked her cousin leaving him wondering why they were asking Sanskar about his date.

" I am not marrying Ragini, my date but Swara, her sister "Laksh explained trying to sort out the confusion until he learnt from them that Swara was the one he was supposed to be on date with in the first place.

" If you went on a date with Ragini by mistake, why would you want to marry Swara? " his mother asked once they have been able to clarify her doubts.

" Because he thinks of him self as her savior and believe she would be thankful if he married her and saved her ", his cousin spoke up for the first time and Laksh turned towards him in surprise

Because while his reason to marry Swara was propelled by his need to get her out of the house, it wasn't the only reason. He liked her, of course he liked her because how else will he be able to explain his heart that worries about her. He was willing to shackle himself to marriage for her

" Laksh, Let me spare you the rejection. She won't marry you. ", his cousin spoke up and left to his room leaving Laksh more determined than ever to change her mind .

                       *****************

The house was hauntingly familiar that was Sanskar first train of thought when Laksh dragged him to the house because his date left her purse in the car, he wasn't in a good mood to be dragged away from the bar even when he wasn't drinking after she left .

After Kavitha's death, any companionship seemed too burdensome to him that he only let Laksh browbeat him at times to go with him, the rest of the time he vastly preferred solitude until her .

Her protectiveness over her sister was admirable and also her total lack of interest in him made her the best sort of company, she had been the first person he told about Kavitha's death who didn't respond to it with practiced platitude but shared with him about her loss instead.

He liked to see her arguing with Laksh, and he liked to see her eating the food with nary a thought of him and in the end she disturbed him much more than he ever imagined, it was why he insisted Laksh to drop her home and pretended to stay in the bar

Even if he has no interest in drinking more that night, he has a meeting early tomorrow which meant he can't get too drunk even if she looked at him like one, he preferred it because he didn't want their path's to cross again .

But what he didn't expect was that when he saw her next time it would be when she was helpless and fighting against a monster, the rage that come over him shocked him for awhile as he couldn't come to terms with the violence he unleashed.

And he was fortunate that his cousin was able to find words even if they were the wrong ones. One look at Swara, he knew she won't accept Laksh's directive to leave the house .

Because what Laksh saw was a helpless woman suffering under her father's violence and what Sanskar saw was a warrior who will never leave his sister under such a man. The brief protectiveness she showed in the date had been enough for Sanskar to realize she will never leave her sister

And when he had seen her grandparents, the knowledge intensified as he knew Swara considered herself as the protector of the family and will never walk away from her sister or her aged grandparents.

Laksh had foolishly mistaken her if he assumed she would marry just about anyone, there was a fierce independent streak in her that he was sure she won't depend on anyone to come to her rescue .

What he didn't know was why her father was cruel to one sister and not cruel towards another, the answer he got when Laksh explained to their mothers why Swara needs to be saved from her family .

It was the final piece he needed to realize why the house was hauntingly familiar, she told him that she lost her mother two years ago and she remembered following a girl from the graveyard to an house and now he realized how those pieces fit together to give him the answer he longed to find. 

He felt a strange connection with grief to her two years ago and he felt that same connection tonight when he confessed to her about Kavitha's death and he didn't know why she was able to shake his mind and threw him unto confusion by her mere presence in his life.

It was the reason he allowed Laksh to drag him to meet the sisters the next day and was surprised to find the house locked, he was yet again fortunate for his cousin social skills as all it took him was few minutes to gather the necessary Intel .

" They moved it seems bhai , there was huge fight between Ragini's father and her grandfather once he learned what happened and then her grandfather kicked her father out of the house and the family moved back to their home town, " Laksh answered back relieved that Swara was safe and he no longer have to marry her, but Sanskar felt like he lost someone important to him all over again.

He couldn't explain the why of it much less what he intend to do about it. Last night his greatest wish had been not to cross path with her again, now that it was fulfilled it only left him strangely lost.

P.S : That it for now, Let me know your thoughts and Feedbacks. Hit the votes if you liked it

Juanita Reid