An Awkward Dinner

Warning! Mentions of alcoholism, past abuse, past neglect, and the usual suspects for this story (:
(Narrator POV)
After the confrontation in Bobby's front yard, John and the other two (his new wife Kate and other son Adam) went back to their motel with the promise of dinner in their pocket.

Sam and Dean had agreed to go to some restaurant just outside of town (one they had never been to before, so it was unlikely they'd be recognized during the awkward meal) and then sent the Winchesters packing.

Winchesters, that was weird to think about.

After the interlopers left, the four parents had immediately gone inside with Bobby to check on Jody and the kids.

DB excitedly hugged his parents while Cas and Dean were practically trampled by a small herd of children.

Once they were done reassuring themselves about the safety of the smallest Winchester-Singers, the adults let them get back to playing and began discussing what had happened.

Dean and Sam each shared how they were feeling during the altercation and how they felt afterwards, and they also declined the offer of Jess and Cas going to dinner with them.

If something went awry, they would both rather know that their partners were safe. Jess and Cas going would just make the brothers worry even more.

They finished up the conversation fairly quickly, and then proceeded to spend the time until dinner talking about other things.

When the time came, Sam and Dean left and took Baby to the restaurant to meet the others while Jess, Cas, and the kids all stayed at Bobby and Jody's for dinner.

The drive there was quiet and a bit nerve-wracking as both men took deep breaths, and Dean held the steering wheel in a white-knuckled grip. Pulling in next to the black truck they'd seen at Singer Salvage, the boys climbed out of the Impala and headed for the door.

John, Kate, and Adam were all sitting at a table within view of the entrance, and so the brothers joined them at that table reluctantly.

John was sat at the head of the table facing the door with Kate on his right and Adam on his left. Sam took the seat next to Adam, and Dean pulled the chair by Kate over to the other end of the table so he'd be across from John with his back to the door.

He didn't particularly care if it might seem rude. He wanted to be far from John while keeping the man within his sights. Dean wasn't particularly a big fan of having his back to the door either, but he also knew that Sam could see behind him and would have his back.

The beginning of the meal was incredibly awkward, and stilted while they ordered. John got a burger and a beer, Kate ordered an iced tea and a salad, Adam got a chicken sandwich and a soda, Sam chose a water and a salad, and Dean just got a water.

He had lost his appetite, and water seemed like the beverage that would reveal the least about him.

It may seem strange, but everything involving John had to be attacked like it was battle.

"So, you wanted to talk?" Sam finally said after the waitress brought them the drinks and left.

"I want to know what's happening in your lives, that's all." John informed them while Kate looked like she could not care any less and Adam seemed really interested.

Sam looked toward Dean before answering the question. He wasn't sure how much to tell their biological father, but he also wasn't sure how on Earth John could use the information against them.

Also, Sam was fairly confident that he and Dean would take care of John if he became a real threat.

"Well, I'm married to Jessica, you actually saw her today." He didn't call her by her nickname since only people she liked could call her that (and she had always hated John for being such a lousy dad). "I have a son named Dean, but we call him DB for short, and we're expecting another in a month."