31: Because I do care about you

I woke up in a startle. Where am I? I thought, looking around and adjusting my eyes to the darkness of the room I was lying in, hoping really bad that I was at home, safe and sound, and not at some other place where I was being held captive. As my eyes did adjust to my surroundings, I realized with a heavy sigh that I was indeed at my own house, in my own bed. I groaned in pain when I tried to sit up, and that's when I remembered the events before some time - how I ended up getting stabbed after a final fight and fell into Jasper's arms. However, the next thought I immediately had was not about myself, but about him.

Was he safe now?

Well, he has to be. If anyone can get me home and tuck me in bed, that's him, and he obviously couldn't have been harmed after we reached here. Subconsciously, I smiled at the realisation that both of us were now safe, even though a bit hurt too. I glanced down to see how bad my wound was and that's when I noticed that I was now wearing a tunic, not the shirt I had been wearing earlier. The gash had been bandaged and all the blood had been wiped off as well.

Did Jasper change my shirt? I thought, feeling slightly embarrassed. I mean, I had totally no reason to feel so, he did that just to keep me away from any possible infections and because that's what's supposed to be done in such a situation regardless of such awkward thoughts. But I still felt the same.

Clutching my injured area to not add pressure to it, I got out of bed carefully and looked around for Jasper. He wasn't anywhere to be seen in the room, in the closet or in the restroom, neither was there any sound or sign of him. Where did he go again? I thought, feeling a little cross and worried at the same time. Why does he have to keep leaving without informing me? That's why I get so tensed and start panicking. That's exactly what had happened back at the restaurant too. But then, at least he did tell me that he was going to the restroom. Right now, however, it felt like I was the only person in the house. And that was a feeling that haunted me now, and would probably haunt me in my dreams forever. My mind suddenly switched to when Jasper would leave this house after dad returns and I immediately shook my head, as if shaking off those thoughts. I didn't want him to leave anymore, even though that completely contradicted my opinion towards him at first.

Suddenly, the sound of the front door shutting close made me jump in surprise.

I relaxed at first, glad that Jasper was back from wherever he'd suddenly disappeared to. But another thought suddenly appeared in my mind like a sudden storm - what if it's not Jasper? What if he's being held captive by some others now and those same people are coming for me again? I shook off those weird thoughts again, reminding myself that these same thoughts had come to my mind when I was waiting for Jasper back at the restaurant but he'd returned with absolutely no harm done. It's just my over-imagination and nothing else.

...right?

There were footsteps right outside my bedroom.

Immediately, on a reflex, I backed up to the far corner of my bed, covering myself with my hands stupidly even though I was completely visible even still. Some part of my mind told me to get the fuck up and run for my life even with the wound still bleeding, another part told me to take some random thing from somewhere around me as a weapon and another part told me to stay still and wait. I listened - could only listen - to the last part, since both the other options required me to move and I couldn't do that at all. I was frozen in my place, frozen in both fear and pain. Ugh, I could've at least closed and locked my bedroom door when I heard the first noise!

Suddenly, through the darkness, I saw a shadow stagger into my room through the very little light that came from somewhere far outside. I began to hyperventilate, slowly but steadily, and I tried hard to tell myself to calm down but with no effect.