43: Bring me...home?

Dead, dead, dead.

I must be dead, I should be.

But it proved otherwise as I lay in the hospital bed, looking up at the bright lights which were blinding my already blurry eyes. I didn't care to look around at the people surrounding my bed, at the doctor or the nurses, or at the large package of medicines that'd been kept right across me. It was evident that I'd been here for at least a few days, and that someone had been taking care of me for all this time. Who? That question would've mattered to me earlier, but not now, not anymore. All I cared about is the fact that my dad was dead and that my bodyguard had tried to sexually assault me and I ended up here with some random person's help, though I did get beaten on my head right before.

I did hear from a conversation by the doctors before, that I was nearly dead, lying half-naked in a pool of blood, at the time my rescuers found me - actually, I really did die. A part of my mind, my body, my heart and my soul was lost there forever. At that second I realized that it was him, that I'm not going to get saved, I lost all the trust I had in anyone.

I lay down unblinkingly, but there were tears slowly coming down my eyes. I didn't cry out or jump in shock when I heard that they couldn't save my dad. I didn't do anything at all. I pretended to be dead, which I was, deep inside. I couldn't ever think of a life without my dad. He was all I had, my only family. And he was taken away from me too...

My soul actually was dead at this point.

"She's awake!"

"Oh, thank God. June?"

I lay still. Should I be pretend to be dead so that they'd bury me and I would be able to die peacefully? Should I pretend to not hear them? But that'd be rude.

Rude, really? I mocked myself internally, You became the best version of yourself to a guy you trusted and loved so well and look what he did to you. And you're still thinking of not being rude to people, huh? Grow up, dumbass. No one in this world is genuine, and no one's going to treat you the same way you treat them and wants to be treated. Better safe than sorry - so shut up, ignore them and mind your own damn business.

But the voices were familiar. Very familiar. I knew them. It was a girl's and guy's voice. A girl and guy I knew too well.

No, it wasn't Klaus', Dorian's, or Karly's. Though I expected - and hoped at the depth of my heart - it to be them, it clearly wasn't. It wasn't Mrs.Smith either.

Merely curious, I slightly moved my head to the side as the guy appeared near me, gently caressing my head and making sure to not hurt me or surprise me. He didn't, either; at this point, even if he suddenly takes out a knife out of nowhere and stabs it right through my heart, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm losing my senses, I know, but what do you expect from a girl who just lost her father, went through a brain surgery after being at the brink of death and almost got raped?

The person's face came into view after the blur left my eyes. I was surprised, yes, but it didn't show much.

It was Lucas.

Lucas...?

"June? You're awake, do you feel better? Do you remember me?" He asked with concern laced in his eyes and voice.

I sighed silently and turned my head. Of course I remembered him. Just moments ago, I was trying to think of wanting to die someway or the other and never being nice to anyone ever again but here I was, yet again, my heart warmed by the only person who was here by my side during this situation. I couldn't ever think of being aloof and distant towards Lucas. Why am I so gullible?