42: No one is going to save you

Do something, push him off! I told myself, trying to force myself to move, but all was in vain. All I could do was stare at the darkness through my eyes lifelessly. The realisation that it was Jasper, that that's why he didn't come to my aid or isn't even making a noise from wherever he is, that the situation I had with him on his first day here was indeed real, that the dream I had several times about someone killing dad and trying to assault me was because in the depth of my mind, I'd always been scared of Jasper... Everything made sense now. It was him all along, the attacker in my nightmare.

Jasper.

I winced at the thought.

How could he turn into such a monster? Just moments ago, I'd been upset at the thought of him leaving and he'd comforted me about it like usual. Maybe that's the reason I can't think of him suddenly turning into a violent, cruel person like this man who's enjoying my vulnerability.

My head was filled up with a sea of emotions to notice anything that was going on. Should I be scared? Worried? Shocked? Should I cry out for help, struggle against his strong grip, or lay down like this forever? Maybe the last option sounds better. If I lay still, I could wake out of this horrifying dream. Wake up, why are you still dreaming?

Feeling another touch somewhere, I blinked out of my frozen state and realised that he was now trying to lift up my skirt. Shrieking, I curled my legs and stuck them close together, feeling shameful at once. "Please-please let me go. Please don't do this to me, I'm begging you."

He didn't say anything and ignored me completely.

"Please don't do this, Jasper."

That finally struck him just a bit, because he paused, and then burst out laughing, "You think calling my name would work this time, hon? Oh, how sweet."

"The Jasper I know would never hurt me," I winced, tears springing out of my eyes though I wanted to hide that and show that I wasn't afraid, though I was actually terrified, "You're-you're not really Jasper, are-are you?"

"Still find it hard to believe?" He chuckled, cupping my cheeks roughly and leaning closer to my face again. "No one is going to save you, June" he whispered menacingly, "It's just you and me here."

I breathed heavily at his voice, which sounded much more darker than ever. I could only hope that all of this was just a nightmare or maybe a dumb prank - in payback for how I treated him at first. But even if latter is the case, Jasper would never go as far as this. In fact, he wouldn't think of this idea of a joke at all. He knows how sensitive I am as much as my dad does. But of course, all of that had been a facade...

"W - why?" I asked back in a whisper, letting the tears fall from my eyes, "Why are you doing this? What did I and dad ever do to you?" I wanted to ask more, I wanted to know the reason behind his sudden, unrealistic change. Didn't he tell me that dad was the only boss he had who treated him well and even provided for him since his childhood? Why would he do this then? Or - was that all a lie? Just a lie to convince me that he was really indebted to dad and would do anything for our protection? To make me sympathise with him and maybe even end up liking him? Maybe he knew all along that I liked him. That's what he'd said earlier, too.

"I'm sorry I'm ending your life before you can know that, June," he said.

Ending my life?

Suddenly, overcome with emotions, I screamed with all the strength I had.

It came out only as a squeak at first, because of the realisation that I had no one to call; my dad was gone, my friends were nowhere near and my only hope has turned to being my attacker now. Soon, I was screaming with my entire strength.

"HELP ME!" I shouted relentlessly. I didn't care about who came to rescue; I just wanted someone nearby to hear me, and from the way my voice echoed throughout the entire house, it was sure to have reached someone outside too. Unfortunately, I was too late to realise that my attacker had suddenly become silent and paused himself for a while. Just when I was about to start struggling again, something hit me across the face hard.

I let out a loud, bloodcurdling scream again when my head felt like it was broken into two by the impact of what felt like a heavy metal pole, the same thing that had been used to knock out my dad. Groaning in pain, I brought back my hands to my head as a shield, and a warm liquid dripping on my hand made me realize that I was bleeding heavily.

He hit me. He hit me with something really, really heavy because he wants to kill me like he did to dad.

The Jasper I like would never hurt me....

Everything began to darken slowly, slowly, as my consciousness spun out of control and my eyes felt heavy, the blindfold making it even more painful and throbbing. The last thing I saw before I passed out was complete darkness, but I could sense it, sense my attacker smirk in mock pity and prepare himself to do whatever he wants after I'm dead.

.......................