34: You really are a great person, June

Dumbstruck by Dorian's sudden question, I gasped and responded, "What?"

It had been such a short while since I had that argument with Sally and she already opened her big mouth? Damn her, I had to realise that she wouldn't keep it a secret even if she did want to impress Jasper too. I fisted my palms, anger towards the bitch building up in my mind again before I told myself that Dorian was standing right in front of me, waiting for a continuation to my response, "I don't understand?"

"Oh, come on," he chuckled, "You can tell me anything, June. I'm your friend, aren't I?"

"Tell you what, Dorian?"

Oops, I called him by his actual name. That'll definitely hint him that I'm serious about something.

He groaned, "That you like a particular someone."

"Someone?"

"Jasper."

Oh shit. I'm in great trouble.

"No - of course not - what do you..."

My words slowly drowned out as the thoughts resurfaced again, making me aware of the other consequences I might have to face if Sally really did tell everyone by now. I'd have to face teases and interrogations about this and there'll even be false assumptions based on us being in the same house and going together everywhere... Y'know what I mean. Even worse is if teachers hear this from somewhere and calls my dad or something, making this a really big issue. If it goes that way, Jasper would definitely find out and that's the last thing I needed right now. He'd have to leave my house too - which is also something I'd hate.

"Really? Is that so?" Dorian kept asking me playfully. Unable to push away my disturbing and scary thoughts, I kept muttering a weak 'no' and shook my head rapidly as I pushed past him to the classroom. He laughed at that but didn't bother to block my way and keep asking me what was going on. I was glad to him for respecting my boundaries and laughing it off instead of keeping on asking me, but soon I got curious and returned to his side with a sheepish wide smile, "Yo, Doritos."

Dorian didn't respond to me. He didn't even turn his head to my side - his eyes were fixed on his phone.

"Dorian....?" I called again, starting to worry that he might have not liked it when I ignored his questions and went past him before. When he didn't respond again, I hit his shoulder and groaned, "Doritos!"

Finally, he turned around in a surprised jump, his face set in a confused frown, "June, what the heck?"

Whoops

He had just been wearing earpods. My mistake.

"Oh, I thought you were ignoring me on purpose," I answered sheepishly, shrugging and pointing to the earphones he had just taken out of his ears. He shrugged, "That's fine, June. But of course I wouldn't ignore you - why would I ever do that?"

I shrugged, "Maybe, for not answering you earlier, y'know. I'm sorry about that."

"Sorry about that? It's your choice to answer me or not, June, don't you apologise for something like that," he rolled his eyes, "And I didn't take it to heart."

I smiled at that. Remembering what I'd actually come here for, I asked, "Yeah, about that - how did you know that I like Jasper?"

Shit.Wrong choice of words.

"I mean, how did you guess that I liked him?"

This elicited a snicker from Dorian, "Guess, huh?"

My eyes widened lightly at his bold tone and I couldn't keep myself from worrying that he might have actually understood my secret and the reason for my strange behavior nowadays.