Chapter 8//Home alone

{{Timeskip//Ellie POV}}

    It's been a few months since I first came here, and I'm stuck in the tower alone. Again. I pace around the living room, my book in my hand, wishing I knew what was happening on their mission. "Miss Jones, I would advise you to sit down." JARVIS says for the fifth time in an hour. "I'm not going to sit down while everybody is out there, risking their lives. For all I know, they could be dead." I say, panicking. I know I need to calm down, but it's impossible. I take a few deep breaths, feeling the panic lessen slightly. For now. "This is the fifth time I've been home alone. The first time was purely accidental, and I twisted my ankle." I mutter. "Miss Jones, please sit down." JARVIS says again. I huff, but stalk over to the couch, sitting down. I put my book down, putting in a bookmark on the page I was at. I grab the remote, clicking the on button, remembering where Natasha said each button would be, and where I remembered where it was from mapping it out.

"JARVIS, can you notify me when they get back?" I ask, tapping my fingers on the remote. "Yes, I will do that if it makes you feel better, Miss Jones." JARVIS says. "Thanks." I say. I take a few more deep breaths, trying to loosen the knot of anxiety and panic in my chest. I completely ignore the tv, waiting for everybody to get back. I sit on the couch for a few minutes, but I can't sit still for any longer. "God, this is killing me!" I say, jumping up. I go into the kitchen, grabbing a cup from the cabinet. I turn on the sink, filling the cup. I turn off the sink, and drink the water, wincing at the hot temperature. "Ow." I say, rubbing my tongue against the roof of my mouth. I put my cup on the counter, deciding to pace the living room again.

{{Loki POV}}

    Everybody gets on the jet, and I sit as far away from everybody else as I can. "We'll be back at the tower in about an hour or two." Tony says. I concentrate, a book appearing in my hands. The jet takes off, and I start reading my book. My thoughts drift towards Ellie, even though we haven't spoken in a few months. Ellie's been avoiding me, and my heart twists just thinking about it. Every time I've entered a room that she was in, Ellie's walked out. She hasn't even said a word to me.

{{Timeskip//Ellie POV}}

    "Miss Jones, I think you would like to know that the jet is back." JARVIS says, and I jump up, going to the elevator as fast as I can without tripping over my feet. I stand in front of the elevator, waiting for everybody. I hear the ding of the elevator, then the whir of it moving down. I bounce on my toes, excited. As soon as I hear the doors open and hear the footsteps of everybody stepping out, I feel a smile on my face. "Somebody's excited to see us." Tony says. I sigh in relief, glad he didn't get himself killed. "Well, let's just say I don't like being home alone." I say. I hug Natasha, then feel Clint give my shoulder a light punch. "So, I'm going to guess nobody died?" I say. "Everybody came back. We're fine, Ellie." Clint says.

"Oh no. I was thinking that one of you were going to be coming back in a body bag." I joke. I hear a gasp from Clint, and I laugh. "How dare you!" Clint says with mock offense. "We all know that you are the person who gets wounded the most." I say, going back to our recurring joke. I smile, getting hugs from everybody. Except Loki. I try to hide the way my heart twists. He's been avoiding me for months, ignoring me when I try to talk to him.

"How are you feeling about your birthday next week?" Natasha says. I shrug, not really caring. "Come on, you're turning 15." I shrug again. "I really couldn't care less." I say.