xiv. 𝖺𝗆𝖻𝗂𝗀𝗎𝗈𝗎𝗌

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐁𝐘 𝐒𝐎 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐘. Today had to have been Layla's worst day since she got here. It all started with Thea's teasing, and then Layla started to overthink things. She then made herself believe she didn't like Scott because how could she?
Then Starr told her about Scott being head over heels for Allison and then them holding hands in class made Layla confused.

She didn't know what was going on. Her theory was that her brain is trying to make up a scenario where she actually likes Scott, but in reality she doesn't. Thea really messed with her brain. She shouldn't be talking to Thea about crushes or even relationships.

“Layla, do you have your notes here?”

Layla looks up to the girl in front of her. Starr is staring at her with a raised eyebrow. Layla searches through the papers in front of her, and she nods, handing it to her.

“You sure are out of it? Bad day?” Veronica asks.

Layla, Veronica, Starr, and Paisley were in a group for their Chemistry assignment tomorrow. It was a presentation that Mr. Harris gave them today. He only gave them one afternoon for it because he wanted to test how much knowledge they have.

“Yeah,” Layla mumbles. She turns her attention to her laptop in front of her. “All right. You can hand me everything you've worked on, so I can add it into our presentation.”

“Are you okay with doing this? I can do it if you want me to,” Starr suggests. Layla shakes her head, “I'll do it. It will be quick.”

“It's already seven o'clock. We should go now,” Paisley says after looking at her wristwatch. Veronica looks at Paisley before looking at Layla. “It is pretty late.”

Paisley starts packing up and Layla looks at the time. “You guys go. I'll finish this up and go,” Layla tells them. She might get scolded by her parents if she enters the house at 10pm, but at least she'll be done with it.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, you guys go.”

Paisley looks at her girlfriend, who's still seated, not making a move to stand up. “Babe, come on. Let's go.”

“You go. I'll stay and make sure she finishes up,” Starr says. The blonde girl glares at Starr, but Starr didn't notice because her focus was on Layla.

“Starr. . .”

Starr looks over at her girlfriend. “Babe, go. I'll stay here. Text me when you get home.”

Layla could almost sense how pissed Paisley was. The girl really didn't like her. Her jealousy was a huge problem.
“Okay.”

Paisley and Veronica exits the classroom, leaving the two best friends inside. The redhead goes back to working on the presentation.
“Okay, tell me. What's been bothering you so much?”

“What?” Layla asks, confusion in her voice.

“What's been bothering so much that you're spacing out. Did something happen that I didn't know about?” Starr asks. Was it something she said, or something someone had said to her?

“Nothing. Don't worry.”

“It's not nothing. What is wrong, Layla.”

The redhead sighs, shaking her head. “Starr, it's nothing. I need to finish this up, so we can leave before ten,” Layla tells her, changing the subject.

Starr stares at the girl with squinted eyes. Layla started acting weird around the afternoon. Is it because she was with Paisley the whole day? It couldn't be that because she didn't seem bothered by that as much.

Starr bites her lip, trying to determine what happened. Her eyes widen when she realizes. “Is this about Scott?”

Layla's head whips up, and she asks, “What?”

“This is about Scott. Do you actually like him?” Starr asks with disbelief. “That is what's been bothering you. You actually like Scott.”

“No, I don't.”

“If you don't, then why would you be so down. You started acting weird after their little moment in Coach's class this afternoon,” Starr says with a smile. She actually uncovered it quickly.

Layla runs her hand through her hair, “I don't like Scott.”

“Layla, you can't lie to me. . .” Starr gives her a stern look.

The girl sighs, giving up. “I don't know, okay? I never thought about me liking Scott until Thea mentioned it.”

“So, you do like him?”

“I don't know. It's complicated.”

“When you started thinking about it, have you spend a moment alone with Scott?” Starr asks her. “No, and I don't want to. I can't even properly look him in the eyes anymore without thinking about it.”

Starr sighs, leaning back in her chair. “Man, things just got complicated not just for you but for me too.”

“How so?”

“I don't worry you to get hurt. I was hoping you didn't actually like him,” Starr says, groaning loudly. “Okay, let's do this. When is your study session with him again?”

“Thursday.”

“Study with him and act normal. Try not to think about liking him,” Starr says. Layla rolls her eyes. “No need to tell me that. That is what I was going to do anyway.”

Starr nods. “Oh, and also don't tell Paisley any of this.”

“What makes you think I'd tell her?”

“She's your girlfriend, and you guys probably share everything.”

“Yeah, but I'm not going to tell her about this. She can't keep a secret to save her life, so, yeah. I'm not telling her anything,” Starr informs her. Layla smiles at her. The two decide to go on and finish their presentation.

▷▷▷

“Finally, we're done!”

“We actually finished it in only 1 hour and 45 minutes,” Starr says. It would have probably taken longer if Layla had done it alone. They pack up their stuff, so they can finally leave. Layla had already texted her dad saying she would be late. He didn't reply, which meant he was probably still at work, or he was fast asleep in his bed. 

“That crash we heard, what do you think was it?” Layla asks Starr. “Most likely the janitor. Speaking of him, we should probably leave before he decides to kick us out of the school.” 

“Yeah, poor man is probably exhausted.” 

Starr receives a text from Paisley asking if she was still at school. “I'll just text her back when I get home. Let's go.”

The two girls exit the classroom, and they make their way down the hallway. All Layla wanted to do now was take a hot bath and have a good night's rest. Starr gets a message, and she frowns when she sees it. “Uh, Stiles is coming to pick me up. You can go, I just quickly got to go to the restroom.”

Layla nods, “Okay then. I'll see you tomorrow then.”

Layla makes her way down the steps towards the exit of the school. The door was already open, which was weird. She makes it outside just to see Stiles' Jeep outside. She looks back inside the school, wondering when he came in. “Was he already here?”

The redhead walks towards her car, and she climbs in and drives off. A hot meal and hot bath would do wonders for her.