xxi. 𝖺𝗉𝗉𝗋𝖾𝗁𝖾𝗇𝗌𝗂𝗏𝖾

𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐀 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐀, 𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐈𝐒 𝐋𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 in bed. It was now Thursday, the day before the formal dance, and Layla has not once left Thea's side. She had called into school to let them know of her situation and since she was already acing all her classes, they didn't mind that she missed a few days. Scott had finally left the day before, but he occasionally came to the hospital to bring her some food with Stiles while Starr, her best friend Starr, brought her clothes.

The latter had only heard the previous day about what had happened, and she rushed over. A high from her best friend is what she really needed at that moment. Scott was great support, but she needed Starr more. Thea did not want to see anyone, so Starr couldn't stay for long.

Layla was seated in the chair beside Thea's bed when the conversation of their parents came up. They had not called them, and it has already been three days. Layla wanted to, but Thea didn't want to. She wanted them to enjoy their time in San Francisco. When they return on Sunday, they'll tell them everything.

“We have to. I'm a minor.”

“I'm an adult.”

“An adult who had wanted to take her life. The doctors would rather our parents be here before you're discharged in a week,” Layla tells her before mumbling a soft 'sorry'. It wasn't that she couldn't speak of it, she just felt uncomfortable saying it.
She didn't want it to be like a trigger word for Thea.

“Mom and dad don't have to know about this. We can lie and say I was in a car crash,” Thea jokes.

“Thea, you and I both know we have to. This isn't a game, what you did was serious.”

“Yes, but you know how mom will react. She will feel bad that she as a psychiatrist didn't notice the signs, and then she will recommend me a therapist, and you know how that goes.”

Layla sighs. She didn't want to say this. “But you do need one.”

“Why?”

“Thea, Mark physically and emotionally abused you. He manipulated you for years. Don't you think talking to someone would be better?” Layla asks her.

“I can talk to you.”

“I'm not a psychologist and I know better than anyone that talking to a psychologist actually helps,” Layla says and Thea sighs. “We're different, Layla. You went to because of your dreams, what happened to me, is reality.”

“Which is why you should. Just think it over. If you don't want to, I'll fully support you.” Thea smiles gratefully at her sister.

“But you will have to, dear sister.”

“Fine. You can tell our parents everything after the formal tomorrow night,” Thea says as she sits up, wincing as she moves her leg a bit.

“Why tomorrow night?”

“Aren't you going to the dance?”

“No. I'm staying right where I am,” Layla tells her, which made Thea roll her eyes.
There's a knock on the door and the two look towards the door. The door opens, and nurse McCall enters with the Sheriff behind her. It was Stiles' dad.

“Thea, the Sheriff, is here to take your statement.”

Thea looks at Layla, giving her an accusing look. She didn't tell the cops about Mark, but she actually hoped we did.

“Miss Paxton, do you perhaps know who had done this to you?” Noah asks the young lady. Layla looks at her sister. She wanted her to tell him it was Mark. He may already be out of town already, but at least then there will be a warrant out for his arrest.