9 - So Strange

Gavin

"Tell Johannes to remove the panels of Dad's ascension from the museum," I mutter to Javi, pitching my voice too low for CeCe to hear. She is fast asleep, like a pup cradled in my arms.

"Right away," Javi says. My soon-to-be First Beta agrees immediately, but I have a feeling Johannes may not be as agreeable.

Another packmate approaches, a broad smile on his face. "Congratulations, Alpha," he says with a bow.

I nod my head, "thank you, Len," I speak just as quietly as he does. His gaze drifts to CeCe and his smile widens. Shaking his head as if he can't believe our good fortune, he takes his leave, allowing the next few well-wishers to approach.

"You look so happy, Your Highness - I mean Alpha!" Darcy enthuses, her mate Bryon smiling at her side.

"Congratulations, Alpha!" another voice chimes in.

A soft thought filters through my bond with my princess. Her nightmare, a familiar one. The black wolf has caught her. I tense as she shifts in my arms, a soft whimper of fear falling from her lips. Despite the din of celebration, the pack, as one, tense. Those wolves closest to go still, or fidget with nerves. Conversations stop cold.

In my CeCe's dream, the black wolf starts to eat... the best meal in existence. I choke a little when CeCe murmurs inaudibly, then lets out a soft sigh before relaxing in my arms, her thighs falling apart by a scant inch. Her scent, aroused and needy, rises through the air to tease my nostrils. My wolf swaggers, pacing, sniffing the air, and waiting with ill-disguised patience for his mate to wake up. Discipline is all that keeps me from tossing my mate to the floor and plunging into her tight cunt.

Instead, I laugh softly. The pack calms down when their luna does. Five more packmates come forward, then two females approach with frowns on their faces. "Alpha, congratulations," the older sister, Naeva, greets me first.

I accept their congratulations, but the two stay hovering in front of me. Behind them, I see a shift in the crowd's attention. I raise an eyebrow, silently demanding an explanation.

Sabina clears her throat delicately, "Alpha, will all respect, are you planning on creating a guard for the luna?" Eagerness shines out of her eyes.

My wolf snarls, low in my gut. Both females bow their heads, eyes lowered. Cece stirs in my arms but doesn't wake up as my wolf slinks to the ground, ashamed of almost waking up his mate.

"I may," I respond. I'm lying and they know it. I plan on having a few of my elite warriors around her, but she won't have a guard like Mom does. A guard will be loyal to CeCe first and potentially have more of her trust and affection than for me. I don't know how Dad stands it.

"We would like to be considered," Naeva says quietly, "if you decide to gift the luna with a guard."

I grunt, saying nothing rather than tell my pack another lie.

Sabina makes another quiet noise, "Alpha?"

"Yes?" I snap.

"We've heard rumors from the castle."

I keep my wolf's growl at bay this time. Checking to make sure CeCe is still sleeping, I ask, "what, exactly?"

"Celeste," Naeva spits out. Ah, it seems these two are already angling for a high position. Sabina shushes her older sister and Naeva shoots me an apologetic look. We all peek at CeCe's peaceful face. "She's trying to move into the packhouse with the alphason, Alpha," Naeva continues.

"Celeste is returning to her family's pack," I growl.

"She claims her father has exiled her."

I frown, sitting back. "What has my dad said about that?"