52 - Princess, Priestess, Mine

Gavin

"Never has any creature on this earth been as beautiful as you," I tell my sleeping mate.

My fiend scratches behind his ear with his rear paw. His eyes haven't left CeCe since she fell asleep after learning that we are just as broken and flawed as our sire.

He is a HalfForm, and our fairy didn't give two shits.

He grins macabrely, flashing a maw of nightmares. A predator from the tips of his three-inch long claws to his equally obscene canines, he sees this as his opportunity for greatness. CeCe and I have enemies and now that she accepts my fiend for what he is, we don't have to hide anymore.

Only we do, I remind him. If we go HalfForm in front of CeCe, will she still be as accepting? It's a fucking terrifying form, a monster. Celeste used to cry when anyone even mentioned it in front of her and she never actually saw my HalfForm.

The bond pulls, a delicate wisp of concern drifting over the luring fiend in my mind. Just that easily, I toss that remnant of memory aside. My mate is stronger than some wanna-be princess from NetherPaw.

CeCe's eyes flutter open, the green intoxicatingly dark. "Gavin?" she murmurs, seeking her mate. Her tiny she-wolf whimpers and without opening her eyes, curls up at my fiend's feet, making sure his big front paw is securely captured with all four of hers.

"Shh, beloved," I rumble, the sound deep, resonating from my chest with my full power.

"Gav," CeCe murmurs stubbornly, eyelids fluttering, "will Salvatore be here soon?"

"Yes, love," I reassure her, stroking her hair until she falls asleep again. When her breathing evens out and I know she's slipped far into dreamland, I rise from our bed and walk to the door.

Javi, Levan, Grant, Bard, Malcolm, and Sabina are all waiting in the hallway. "Only Sabina stays inside," I order calmly. "My princess eats when she awakens."

The chorus of voices agreeing to the command are tinged with joy, except for Malcolm, who just inhales deeply and glares at me, his arms folded over his chest.

I ignore Malcolm. When has my elite ever been joyful? Never. Only in the Knowing. Only when my magical fairy is around, sharing her sweet calm with our raging wolves.

"It's odd, being here," I mutter to Levan as he, Javi, Malcolm, and I walk toward the study. I commandeered this suite from my grandmother, who was all but willing to give the spare rooms up for her eldest grandchild and his pregnant mate.

"It feels comfortable," Javi says from behind me as he shuts the door, but doesn't lock it.

"It's home," I reply bluntly. At least, it is now. I've caught these two up on the important parts of the Knowing. Neither too surprised to discover that their new princess was special.

"Saxon sent a message ahead. Celeste is accompanying the king and Salvatore here," Javi says quietly.

"My mother?"

"Ordered to stay behind at the palace. She'll be about a half-day behind the king."

I nod, "are Hilaria or Graeson with her?"

"Just Graeson," Levan replies grimly, "with his bitch."

"The Viper," I muse thoughtfully. I spin in the office chair like a pup, staring at the ornate ceiling, lost in my thoughts.

"Sire?"

"Does anyone think it's odd that CeCe called Daria the Viper, and not Celeste?"

Javi nods, "sure, but Daria is taking away our little red-headed spitfire's truemate, so maybe that's why?"