46 - Family Tree

Gavin

Soon.

Malcolm smacks the flat of his palm on Tivo's back in a friendly gesture. I feel the edges of my mouth curl in a glinting, dangerous smile. Both males smile, too. Their smiles are forced and uncomfortable, while mine is absolutely genuine.

I have to choke down the laugh that wants to burst forth from my lips in howls and madness. So close. We're so close to having our beautiful love back in our arms... for the first time.

When I cut off the chuckle, it emerges in an insane snarl. Tivo doesn't flinch, but as the two males turn to walk into the well-guarded tunnel entrance, I see Malcolm toss a harsh glare over his shoulder toward my hidden spot in the trees.

I would never trust the male if not for the Knowing. CeCe's dreams reveal how deeply Malcolm loves his little sister. In fact, if I hadn't been meant for her, I have a feeling that Malcolm would have claimed the right to stand next to her and protect her.

The flood of Malcolm's warriors enters the tunnels on the males' heels. A few of my elite are sprinkled into the mix, their closely-shorn hair and shorter beards are hidden behind hooded cloaks and bundles of furs and belongings.

"My female is cold, Sire," Nyel's grumpy tone greets me as the last of the refugees disappears into the mouth of the mountains.

"Patience," I growl quietly. I turn and eye the female huddled in Nyel's embrace. She is cold, shivering despite the thick layers of fur Nyel has scrounged up for her. I feel the faintest sympathy stir. "Tonight," I say quieter, "and Nyel will be able to find a soft, warm bed for you, alright?"

She nods, cringing away from me slightly, her eyes not meeting mine. Nyel, on the other hand, looks pleasantly surprised. "Thank you, Sire," he says quietly.

"Soon, Nyel," I murmur as I look back at the tunnels. Throughout the night, Malcolm's males will sneak my elite and our new females into the mountain. They couldn't go with the rest of the refugees. I couldn't risk one of them crying out a warning to the clan wolves.

Soon.

But not yet.

I wait as the light of day fades away. Night has fallen before the first of my elite enter the mountain. Slowly, in pairs or small groups of three, they enter the mountain with one of Malcolm's wolves as a guide.

My fiend paces. I trust Malcolm, but my wolf is less inclined. He has been alone for so long that all he truly cares about is his family. CeCe. No one else makes his cut. Salvatore, to my shame, barely registers with him. I am a good father, but my wolf has always been a bastard.

That's why our pup needs a good mother. Our CeCe. Our mate.

"We're last, my heart," I hear Pietr mutter.

I turn my head and fasten my eyes on this new development. "Pietr?" I snarl.

He has a new female tucked under his arm. I inhale, her presence chafing at me. She's young. I can tell by her scent that she had her first shift only a few months ago. She seems vaguely familiar from the Knowing, but I can't place her.

CeCe would know who she was. My fiend huffs, angry at the delay. He wants his mate now.

Soon.

I take a menacing step toward them. Pietr reacts instantly, his face hardening, his stance shifting protectively. "She's young," I snap. And I don't know her.

"Haven't Claimed her," Pietr grunts. "Haven't touched her other than feeding and clothing her, Sire."

"Where are you from?" I ask her.