25 - Black Prince

As Tivo guides me down the hallway right off of the main hall, I hide the shaking in my hands by pretending I'm upset with the female approaching us. Tivo intercepts his mother. "What do you want?" he asks her. I'm a little startled at his abrupt tone with his mother.

"I won't let you make this mistake," she hisses. "You've just Marked Amber days ago!"

"So? She knew what she was signing up for," Tivo replies cruelly.

"And you think that you can take a whore and no one will care?" the luna's eyes flash dangerously. "Think, you stupid pup! You do this tonight and Amber will have justification to kill the omega."

Tivo's body goes stiff next to me. His hand flexes on the small of my back as if his mother slapped him. I, on the other hand, want to kiss the female, right on her ugly, lemon-twist mouth. At least the luna is a voice of reason because we all know exactly why Tivo is so eager to get me to his bedroom.

"I won't allow it," Tivo responds stupidly.

"You can't be with me all of the time, especially now when you are at war," I point out when no one says anything for a beat.

"Shut up, you stupid whore," the luna hisses at me. "I don't know what the goddess was thinking when she paired my son with you, but it is a mistake that I won't allow to destroy him!"

Tivo growls low in his throat. "Enough, mother. I go back to war, tomorrow. I've earned the right to have some fun."

My flinch of disgust is seen by both of them. I know it, too, when the luna slaps me across the face and Tivo does nothing to stop it from happening. All I am is an object and not a much-loved one, at that.

"I told you to shut it," she says to me. My ears are ringing and I taste blood in my mouth. I've heard concussions can lead to delusions. Maybe that explains the Knowing's very unique dreams.

"Enough," Tivo growls, "wolves are watching and father told me I could take her to my room tonight."

"To see if she dreams," the luna says scornfully. "Not to screw up your life. Which is why," she practically snarls, "I will be in the room with you tonight."

Both Tivo and I are dismayed by this for very different reasons. I can feel his erection as he shoves me, ungently down the hall a few more paces to his room. There are only a few rooms in the lodge and only the highest ranks and important guests get them. Tivo's room is, unfortunately, the third door down. It doesn't take long before he's swinging open the door to greet the other hated female.

"Amber, love?" Tivo growls. "I thought you were staying with your family tonight?" His hand shoves me away from him, further into the room. He hurriedly steps around me and gently wraps his hands around Amber's folded elbows. I choke off the bitter laugh before it can escape my mouth. How unfortunately familiar this scene is and not because of the Knowing. No, this is reality.

Amber looks at Tivo with her big, brown eyes sparkling with tears. "Why is she here, Tiv?" she asks softly. "I thought..." she sniffles, "that she would stay on the mountain?"

He enfolds her in his arms. My she-wolf relaxes a bit now that the male isn't touching her. She wants her mate. Her other mate. The real-unreal one. Gavin. Having Tivo touch us so intimately infuriates her.

I watch the two lovers blandly, noting the smug look Amber tosses me over Tivo's shoulder as she rubs his arms and the full erection he still sports from touching me earlier. This is dangerous for me. Tivo won't protect me from Amber's wrath no matter what excuses he spouts to his mother. He's horny and I'm terrified of what it would do to my she-wolf if he decides to take Amber up on her obvious offer.