22 - Paper Snow

CeCe

I blink open my eyes. My vision swims with fuzzy pictures of light and dark. Colors flash in my line of sight. It's snowing. Paper-light flakes of white mingle and drift with yellow and blue and pink.

I can only hear a buzzing sound. My lips part. I feel my mouth form the words, "sorry." I taste blood in my mouth.

Dark eyes meet mine. Someone to help. I reach for him. He'll stop the mad swirl of pastel snow that blurs my vision.

"I'm sorry," tumbles in the air between us. My apology. His apology? I'm not sure...

A calloused hand, bristled, clawed, slides over my cheek. I grimace when the touch turns wet and uncomfortable. Warm lips touch mine. That I like. My neck bends just the slightest bit. I can't see anything, but I think my eyes are still open. I sway, to and fro, rocking on my furry boat.

I press my whiskered, pink nose between the filigreed bars of the golden cage. The cool metal squishes my snout. My voice chitters loudly, complaining to the black wolf about his abysmal disregard for me. I'm the queen of the squirrels. How dare he?

He pads along, silent, pensive. My cage swings back and forth in his mouth. A small drop of drool hits the top of my head, sending me into a flurry of scolding chirps.

The hissing makes me fall silent. I press my tiny paws to the bars, peering out into the shadows beyond the black wolf's massive jaws. I see nothing but inky darkness.

Another hiss, a flash of silver, a serpentine body unwinds itself from a tree trunk and drops onto the path. I let out a soft chirp. A warning to the black wolf, but he plods on steadily forward as if he can't see her lying in wait for him.

The silver serpent lashes out, striking the black wolf in the foot. He stumbles but doesn't fall. Another strike and he begins to limp. He regains his footing and steps forward, but the serpent is there, poisoned fangs at the ready. Again and again, the viper sinks her fangs into the black wolf while he ignores her, carrying my cage all the while. The foul taint of poison stains the air.

My wolf falters at last. He sinks to his haunches, then collapses fully. Now the viper can reach his neck, his face. His jaws clench on the cage. I don't stay silent. My loud screeches do nothing to stop her.

One lone, golden eye watches me until it glazes over. I scrabble at the bars of my cage, trying to set myself free, but the golden metal doesn't even scratch.

The viper turns her attention to me. She strikes. Her fangs sink into the bars. Her body twists angrily. Flakes of gold and poison spittle fly from her blood-red maw. She draws back and hits the cage again. The metal still won't bend. I curl up at the bottom of my cage and tuck my tail around my body protectively.

I am safe, but my black wolf's eyes are dark.

My wrists are heavy. The world smells right again. I burrow deeper into sleep, refusing to open my eyes and see my black wolf's glazed-over eyes. My body is so heavy. I feel as if I'm sinking to the bottom of the world.

I sniffle and rub the tears away from my eyes. Something scratches my face. I smack my cheek, sending the annoying pest away. It bites me again.

Tivo's eyes stare up at me, dead and glossy. I stand on the head of the corpse and chitter triumphantly up at my black wolf as he chuffs in humor down at me.

Relief floods me. My black wolf is absolutely fine, golden eyes shining. No viperous poison racing through his veins. I run to him, exalted in my victory, only to smack into the golden bars. Stunned, I shake my head and spin in a circle, sending my tail spinning out in a fluff. My cage is red-hot.