8. Preparing

"Surprise!" Someone said behind me and I jumped in shock. I'd dropped the bags. Dad, Steve, Thor, Sam, Clint and Bucky were stood in my room. But it was different. The bed had been moved and the walls were covered in pictures and posters. There were fairy lights just above the bed and a lot of pillows and blankets on the bed.

The room:

"Oh my god!" I breathed

"Do you like it?" Clint asked.
"Yes, it's amazing!" I said.
"Good, now if you don't mind I'm going to have a beer." Thor said.
"Really Thor?" Steve asked.
"Yes, goodbye," he said and walked past everyone and went downstairs.
"Well that was nice of him," Nat said sarcastically.
"I heard that!" Thor shouted.
"Congratulations Point-Break! You have ears!" My dad said making me chuckle.

The boys left and I walked into my room. Nat and Wanda followed me.
"Gotta hand it to them, they did well," Nat said.
"Definitely," Wanda agreed.

After they'd had a proper look, the girls left and it was me alone. I stared around the room before deciding to put all my clothes away.

Once I had put all my stuff away, I laid down on my bed and relaxed. I was tired after a long day of shopping.

After a bit, I walked downstairs.
"Hey y/n can I talk to you about something a sec?" Dad asked me.
"Yeah sure," I agreed.

I followed him to a room. It was like the lab but different.
"This is my lab," he told me. "This is where I build some of my iron-man suits,"
"Ah, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked.
"How would you feel about starting school?" He asked me.
"Ummm, sure. Why not" I said.
"Great, because you start tomorrow," he said.
"What?" I asked.
"Is that a problem?" He asked me.
"No, I'm just shocked," I said.
"Ok," dad said.

I left the room after that. I ran back upstairs.

I sat on my bed and put the tv on. I decided to watch the show I was watching at home. A little bit later, Natasha came into my room.
"Hi Nat," I said.
"Hey Y/n, What are you watching?" She asked.
"A show I was watching in the uk, it's on Netflix and I love it," I told her.
"Nice, well I came in here to tell you that food is ready," she said.
"Ok," I answered before pausing my tv and following her downstairs.

When we entered the dining room, Morgan was sat on a chair that had been added to the side of the table. The rest of the Avengers were slowly walking in and taking their seats. In the middle of the table there was a dish of lasagna and a salad bowl on the side.

I sat next to Wanda and served myself some food. I began to eat. Everyone around the table was talking amongst themselves. I blocked some it out and focused on eating...until someone said my name.
"Y/n," the person said.

I looked up and saw my mum looking at me.
"Yeah," I asked confused.
"Are you ok, you seemed zoned out," she said.
"I'm good," I told her.
"Good," she said.

I continued to eat and then my dad said
"Since your starting school tomorrow, I have got you a place at the school using your old last name 'Mason'."

I swallowed and nodded my head.
"Ok," I agreed.

After dinner, I helped Wanda and Vision with the washing up. Just after I'd finished putting the last few plates away, Nat and Steve walked into the room.
"Hi, Nat, Steve," I said.
"Hello y/n," Steve said.
"Y/n, since you start school tomorrow, we decided to get you some stationary and essentials," Nat said and handed me a black backpack.

I took it. It felt like there were things in it. I opened it. Inside there were a pack of blue and black pens, pencils, red pens, highlighters, a maths set and a calculator. At the bottom of the bag there was also a small black pencil case.

Backpack ^^

Backpack ^^

Pencil case ^^

Pencil case ^^

"Thank you, but you didn't have to do this," I thanked them both.
"No problem, and it's fine," Steve said.

After that, I went upstairs. I watched a bit more of my show and then noticed the time. It was 9:30. I decided to turn my tv off and get ready for bed. I brushed my teeth and put my pyjamas on before lying into my cold new bed.

I couldn't sleep for a while. I was too busy worrying about school. I never fitted in at school. I was never popular and I was too dumb to hang out with the smart people. I however did have a friend. Her name was Felicity but I just called her Fliss as a nickname. I then realised that I would never see her again. But..I could text her.

I grabbed my charging phone off my bedside table. I went into messages and onto Felicity's profile.

Felicity ❤️✨

—————28th February 2021————

are you ok I heard your mum was in
hospital?

Yeah, I'm ok, I was told it wasn't that
serious.

——————17 March 2021—————

Hey Fliss, it's me. It's been a while
are you ok?

I texted. It took a while to send and then when it had finally sent it said

⚠️not delivered⚠️

I put my phone back on the table and turned over to face the wall. A tear trickled down my face. I was never going to see her again. That tear turned into a cry and then a sob.

After I'd finished crying, I turned around the other way and soon fell asleep.

Nervous about what tomorrow would bring.