Prologue - Meeting The Twins [Birthday Chapter]

Flashback - Many years ago...

Location - The Park

Your POV

Hello, my name is (Y/N) (L/N), and for most of my childhood, I have always been alone. No matter how hard my parents tries, they can never give me a brother or sister, and adopting one was out of the question. I figured if I couldn't get a sibling out of my parents, then I would try my best to ask for a friend that would be like a sibling. Little did I know that this wish came true, and she ended up being the love of my life in the end.

It all began with my parents taking me to the park on a Saturday afternoon. We've always done this as they encourage me to go play with the other kids. However, the issue was that I was too shy to go over to them and say hi, or ask if I want to play with them. So I would sat over by the swings and look down at the ground. If I was being honest, I almost didn't want to be here. I mean, who would want to hang out with me anyway? But then...

"Onee-chan! Onee-chan! Push me on the swings!"

"Okay, okay, settle down."

I shyly looked over and saw two girls coming this way. One was hyper and the other one was just fairly calm. I could help but stare at them as they played on the swing next to me.

'They must be lucky to have each other...' I thought to myself.

I looked away from them a few seconds later, but that is when they start to notice me.

"Hey, why are you so down?" One of the girls asked me.

I looked up and saw them smiling at me.

"N-Nothing..." I nervously replied.

"Do you want someone to play with?" The second girl asked.

"I mean, that would be nice and all, but... who would want to play with me?" I asked back.

"We can play with you!" The hyper one said with a big smile.

"Huh? Are you sure I can?"

"Why not? I don't see the harm in doing that. Right, onee-chan?"

"It's fine with me."

"Yay!"

Then she grabbed my hand and all three of us headed over to the sandbox. I was happy that these two want to play with me, but I don't even know them.

"Umm, I'm sorry, but... I don't even know your names." I said.

"Oh, right. I'm Hikawa Sayo, and this energetic one is my twin sister." Sayo said as she introduced herself.

"That's right! I'm Hikawa Hina! What's your name?" Hina asked as she introduced herself as well. 

"M-My name is... *gulp* (Y/N) (L/N)." I said shyly.

Hina giggled.

"(Y/N)? That's a Boppin' name!" She said.

"I quite like it as well." Sayo said as she smiled at me.

I smiled at her back. By the way things are going now, I had a feeling I was going to be good friends with the Hikawa Twins.
______________________________________

A couple of years later...

Location - The Hospital

These last few years felt like a blur to me, but these were the best years of my life. When my parents found out that I became friends with the Hikawa Twins, they became friends with their parents, and arrange playdates whenever it was possible. Some days I'll come over to their place, and they did the same likewise.

Between the two, I felt like I have a good connection with Sayo as she and I had more in common than we thought. And whenever she gets upset about something, I would do my best to hear her out and comfort her, even if I do a bad job at it.

However, things started to take a dark turn as the years went by...

Right around the time the three of us were in our junior high years, Mr. Hikawa was starting to feel sick. We thought it was harmless at first, but we ended up being worse when he was taken to the hospital. The Hikawa twins, their mom and I were there as he was laying down in his hospital bed.

"Father, you're going to be okay, right?" Sayo asked as I noticed the tears falling from her eyes.

"Afraid not..." He replied meekly.

It's as I feared, Mr. Hikawa was going to die from his sickness. I was a bit upset as he was like a second dad to me, but the Hikawa Twins and their mother were more upset than me.

"I want all of you to listen to what I have to say while I still have the chance." He said as he started coughing.

"What is it, dear?" Mrs. Hikawa asked.

"I want you all to know that it was great being alive, and I was glad that I was able to get to know every single one of you. You all will have a special place in my heart, even after I die." He began to say.

He looked towards Mrs. Hikawa first.

"Honey, I am glad that I was able to fall in love with you. Even though we didn't hit it off right away, I'm glad I was able to start a family with you." He said.

"Oh honey..."

He looked towards Hina.

"Hina, I can never get tired of seeing that smile on your face everyday. Just make sure to keep on smiling, even after I'm gone." He said.

"I will, for you, dad." Hina said as she started to cry a bit.

Next he looked towards Sayo.

"Sayo, I know it's going to be hard for you to lose me, but I want you to promise me this: stay strong and make sure to look after your sister for me."

Sayo nodded her head as she did her best not to cry.

"I promise, father. I'll make sure to keep an eye on her." She said.

And finally, he looked towards me.

"(Y/N)-kun, it's been amazing to me to have you watch over my girls and become good friends with them. Please, whatever you do, make sure to watch them and protect with your life."

I nodded.

"I promise, sir." I said.

He gave all of us one last smile, and just like that, he stopped breathing. He was now no longer with us. There were a lot of tears shedding on that day for sure. Mrs. Hikawa hugged both Sayo and Hina, and cried at the same time. And I could do was watch...

"Guys..." I wanted to say something, but... I don't know what.

"Come on, let's go home." Mrs. Hikawa said as all of us left the hospital room.

This is going to be hard for both of the Hikawa Twins going forward, but... I will do my best to help them get through this, especially Sayo since I know she cared about her father a lot.

To be continued

A/N: Hello, everyone. Welcome to Always There For You, aka the birthday chapter. I have a lot to work with for this book, so I hope you guys are looking forward to that. And for those who wished me happy birthday already, thank you. It means a lot. See you in the next chapter, and have a good one. :)