Chapter 1 - Things Have Changed

Flashback - Junior high years

Location - (L/N) Residence, (Y/N)'s Room

Your POV

Ever since Mr. Hikawa passed away from his illness, things haven't been the same for the Hikawa family. Sayo, Hina and her mother have been experiencing sadness for quite some time. I did my best to help out all three of them, especially Sayo, but I could only do so much.

Thankfully, Hina and Mrs. Hikawa got over their sadness and did their best to resume to their daily lives. But Sayo is still having a hard time accepting that her father is dead. Even to this day she was still upset about it. She even came over to my house and vented to me a little bit, which ended up leading into something more.

I opened my bedroom door as it knocked and there she was.

"Hey (Y/N)-kun, may I come in?" She asked.

"Oh, Sayo, of course you can." I smiled at her.

She smiled at me as she walked inside my room and sat down on the bed.

"So, how are you holding up?" I asked.

"I guess I'm doing a little better." She replied, though I can tell she is still in pain.

"You still miss your father, do you?" I asked.

She just nodded her head as a teardrop fell from the corner of her eye. I sat next to her and wiped the tear away from her eye, and she smiled at me.

"It's okay, Sayo. I'm here for you." I said.

She glanced over at me.

"Thanks (Y/N)-kun, I'm lucky to have you as a friend." She said.

"You're welcome, Sayo. I'm lucky to have you as a friend, as well."

Sayo and I smiled at each other, and without thinking, I leaned in and kissed her on the lips. Sayo widened her eyes and pushed me to the ground.

"(Y/N)-kun! Are you out of your damn mind? What was that for?" She asked.

"I'm sorry. It's just..." I began to say.

"Just what?"

"I'm in love with you, Sayo." I said as my cheeks turned red.

"You're in love with me?" She asked.

"Yes. I realized I had feelings for you ever since we both started junior high, and... I feel like if I don't confessed to you, someone might take you from me." I explained.

"(Y/N)-kun..." Sayo softly said. I can tell she is starting to feel guilty for pushing me to the ground.

"So what do you say Sayo? Will you go out with me?" I asked.

Sayo didn't speak at first, but when she did replied, my heart began to break.

"Sorry, (Y/N)-kun, but I can't go out with you." She said.

"Oh..."

I thought for sure she would say yes because of how close we are, but I guess not.

"Sorry." She sadly said.

"It's okay, but..."

"But?"

"Can I at least why you won't go out with me?" I asked. "There has to be a reason, right?"

Sayo let out a sigh.

"It's because I only see you as a friend and nothing else." She said.

"I see..." As a friend, huh...?

Sayo stood up and made her way to the door.

"I should get going before my mother and Hina start to worry about me." She said.

I really didn't want her to leave, but after what just happened, I can see why she wanted to go.

"I understand. Just make sure you get home safely." I told her.

"I promise I will." She said and left the house altogether.

I got up and looked out the window. There goes Sayo, making her way home. As soon as she was out of sight, I placed my face in my pillow and let out a sigh. It is sad that Sayo rejected me, but I really hoped that it doesn't affect our friendship in the long-run... I did promise Mr. Hikawa that I would watch over her and Hina, after all.
______________________________________

A few months later...

Location - Station Entrance

After confessing to Sayo out of the blue like that, things began to change between us. Everytime I see within town, I would try to call out to her, but she would ignore me no matter how much I try. Whenever I try calling or texting, it would go to voicemail, and/or just ignore it.

At least I have Hina to talk to, but it just wasn't the same without Sayo. I felt like I should give up and forget about her. However, that changed when I ran into her at the station entrance.

"Sayo?"

"(Y/N)-kun?" 

The two of us stared at each other for a while in silence. It was starting to become awkward since we haven't seen each other in a while.

"So umm... what brings you all the way out here?" I asked.

"I'm just... out shopping for my mother. She wanted me to get something." She replied.

"Oh, may I ask what it is?" I asked.

"I don't think you have the right to know." She said and made a serious face.

"Oh, I take it you're still mad then?" I asked.

And she exploded.

"Are you kidding me?! We haven't seen each other in months and you have the nerve to bring that up?!"

"Look, Sayo, I'm really sorry about-"

"Just save it! I don't want to hear it!" She snapped.

Now I know it is useless to reason with her.

"Oh, then I guess I'll get going. But do you think we can talk again sometime?" I asked.

"I rather catch some random illness that'll put people in quarantine." She said before storming off.

And that was that, I lost the one person I cared about more than anyone. I got used to seeing and hearing from Sayo everyday, and the fact that I'll never see her again is already breaking my heart.

Believe it or not, I would see again during our high school years, and this is where our story starts.

To be continued

A/N: Thank you guys for reading chapter one, and I hoped you guys liked it. Yes, this was another flashback chapter from beginning to end, but I promise it is going to establish at least half of the story, so I hope you guys are looking forward to that.

See you guys in the next chapter, and have a good one. :)