Skipping Class

Nick blew me off to hang out with Karl at lunch. I don't really care, since I can always go to the library. I'd rather not sit with the forever yelling boys that Clay and Karl were friends with. I'd rather not sit with Clay. Thankfully, the library is devoid of any tall, green-eyed blond boy with a knack for causing me affliction. I find an extremely quiet table, near the 'Young Adult' section. I could read one of the many, many books on the shelves, but I don't. I get out my homework, and start finishing it. There's some shuffling near the shelves, which I pay no heed to. It persists, for a little bit longer, when the sound changes to that of someone seating themselves on the chair in front of me. Said person puts their feet up on the table, which is crossing some sort of line. I look up to see the exact person I was hoping to avoid, with a copy of 'Red, White and Royal Blue' in his hand.

"Feet off the table, Clay."

"No, I don't think I will." He's reading as he talks to me.

"Why are you here?"

"Karl's not around, and I'm in no way fit to handle Tommy and Tubbo by myself. Anyway, let me read. This book's interesting."

"I'll leave you to it." Clay's tolerable when he's not talking. If only he would never talk. Maybe only then would I have a different opinion about him. Maybe I'd actually like him.

"What are you thinking, George?" He puts his feet down, and leans forward, closer to me.

"Why are you annoying?"

"Where'd you get your sweatshirt from?"

"That's literally not relevant."

"Yeah, but you're answering my questions with questions, so I'm answering your questions with questions." I think I've lost a few brain cells just trying to decipher what this astronomical moron is saying.

"I'm thinking about how to run away from you." His face was priceless. Slightly shocked, slightly offended.

"Am I that bad of company?"

"You have no idea, Dream."

"You're so mean, Georgie."

"You flatter me too much, Clay."

"What're you doing for Halloween?" He asks, really randomly.

"Halloween's a month away."

"It's never too early. Now, tell me."

"Probably go wherever Sapnap takes me." He nods.

"Guess I'll have to tell him to bring you to Karl's. Knowing him, he'd be there with no hesitation." I kinda walked right into that.

"Do you know what you're dressing up as?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"I do, but I'm not telling anyone."

"Why not?"

"It would ruin the surprise."

"Surprise, you say?"

"Yep." His face portrays a smug look.

"What if I was to bribe you?" He keeps the book face down.

"I find it slightly hurtful that you think I have no restraint."

"You just seem impulsive."

"That I am. But a man with no self restraint? Absolutely not."

"You're contradicting yourself."

"You'll find that I do that a lot. Call it healthy coping mechanisms or whatnot."

"Back to the point. You aren't going to tell me?" He shakes his head.