A Mess

It's now part of my routine to sit with Karl's group for lunch. They aren't as insufferable as I thought; dare I say, they're a little funny. Right now, Ranboo is trying to stop Tommy and Tubbo from starting a fire in the Chemistry lab, while Wilbur encourages them further. I'm stifling laughter, so as to not let Ranboo's dire attempts to fall flat. Wilbur catches my eye, and grins. I finally laugh when Ranboo yells triumphantly. Tubbo offers him a high five, which he graciously accepts.

"I'd have love to see them try burning the place down."

"It's a shame they don't keep flammable stuff there." Wilbur says.

"Shame indeed." I find my eye constantly wandering to the door of the cafeteria, looking for any tall blond. Something had shifted yesterday. He didn't seem so bothersome anymore. The idea of talking to him wasn't as unsettling.

"George, are you looking for who I think you're looking for?" Nick asks, prodding at my side.

"No."

"Your face says otherwise."

"Shut up, Sapnap." He laughs, shaking his head. I decide not to be creepy, and focus on the chatter at the table. Karl and Nick are talking now, so I eavesdrop.

"Will you come over later, Sapnap?"

"Yeah, for sure. When?"

"After school? We can get ice cream or something. If you want, of course."

"I won't mind that." I can practically hear the boy beaming at Karl. For a guy that flirts with me like a god, he's really subdued in front of Karl.

"Georgie, stop listening in on the poor boys." Clay says, making my head snap up to look at him.

"I'm not." I defend poorly.

"Of course you aren't. You're just sitting here and eating your food and totally not listening to them flirt horribly."

"Precisely. You understand."

"Anyway, tell me what they're saying." I give him a look to communicate to him that he's a hypocrite.

"Karl invited Sapnap for ice cream."

"Jesus Christ, from how intently you were listening, one would've guessed that they were confessing their undying love for each other."

"Cut me some slack. This is the only source of entertainment I have. It's either this, or watching Tubbo and Tommy bantering about getting girls."

"Smart choice." He says, and I laugh. Both of us exchange a glance, and then look at Karl and Sapnap, trying to decipher what was going on between them. I push Clay a little, scooting myself beside him, so that it wasn't very clear that we were talking about them.

"They're kinda adorable." I state.

"Definitely." He sounds a little distracted.

"So... Halloween huh?"

"I'm not telling you, George." He says, sighing.

"Come on, please?"

"Nope."

"Clay, please."

"No."

"Dream." That has the desired effect on him. He looks at me wide-eyed, when he realises I'm not saying the nickname to make fun of him. After a minute of hesitation, he responds.

"That's still a no, George."

"Dream, that's very straightforward even for you." Karl says.

"What?"