Outburst

A/N: Sort of angsty 

Karl and Nick were acting a little off the entire day. Well, not towards each other, but in general. Karl more than Nick. I don't ask, in case I'm intruding on something personal. I think Clay sensed my curiosity, because he'd keep passing knowing glances at me throughout the day. It was starting to get a little annoying, because I was just trying to get through the goddamn day. It was the last five minutes of Biology, and the time couldn't be passing slower. Seconds seemed like minutes, and minutes seemed like hours. I really couldn't wait to get home, but I still had more classes after lunch. The teacher droned on and on, and for the first time for as long as I can remember, I tuned her out. I hadn't gotten much sleep last night; too busy stressing out about college. I got in with a pretty good scholarship, so I didn't have to worry about the money too much. My mom, as much as she preaches independence, was a little cagey about me moving back to England for school. I did propose that she move back, but she said that she had too many memories of there, and I get that, so I didn't push further.

"George, did you need to talk to me?" I snap out of my thoughts, realising I'm the only one in class.

"Oh, no. Sorry, I got a little lost for a second there." I offer a polite smile, to which she nods in return. I quickly scramble to get my shit together, and leave the class, towards our table. The atmosphere's odd. Tommy, Tubbo, Ranboo and Wilbur are nowhere to be seen, and the three boys are silent. I notice Nick clutching Karl's hand, who returns it almost half-heartedly.

"Hello." I say, sitting down besides Nick.

"Hi."

"We're going to my house after school, you think you'd be able to make it?" Clay asks.

"Yeah. I don't have anything to do."

"Since when? I thought you always had to do homework. Or at least that's what you say when I ask to hang out." Nick says.

"He just likes me more than you, isn't that right, George?" Clay says, smirking at Nick, who has a knowing look.

"Mhm, yeah, sure he does." Nick says nothing else, and bites into his sandwich. I'm not hungry, so I get out a notebook, and start finishing up a task that I wasn't able to do in class. Nick's incessant chewing is vexing, but I'm so used to it that I don't tell him off. Conversation is literally never scarce between the four of us, so it's very odd when even Karl isn't making an effort to talk.

"Is there something I'm missing here?" I ask, fed up with the silence.

"No." Karl says, very coldly, which I didn't think was possible from the boy.

"Um." I'm quite speechless. "Do you guys want me to go, because I can totally go to the library?"

"No, that's okay."

"Erm, alright." I contemplate getting up, for a few seconds. Clay's watching me, his gaze sort of shifty.

"I need to get a book from the library. I'll see you guys later." Hastily, I pick up my books, and practically run out. Footsteps follow, and I assume it's Clay. Well, more like I hoped it was Clay.

"Hey." It is Clay. He's holding my wrist.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry about Karl."

"It's okay. Everyone has off-days." He gnaws on his lower lip.

"He and Sapnap, um, they were sort of hate speeched. That's why Karl was a little off."

"Why wouldn't you want me to know?" I try not to sound too hurt.

"Nick didn't want you to stress out. Said something about you having too much on your plate for a seventeen year old."