Sort-of Dates and Skateboarding

"George, you got a second, love?" My mom pokes her head into my room.

"Yeah, what's up?" She seems like she's hiding something.

"Something came in the mail for you."

"For me? Are you sure, because I'm not expecting anything?"

"Yeah, double checked the name and address. Here," She slides an envelope across the covers, and I take it. It is addressed to me. I rip the paper open, careful not to tamper with whatever's inside. It's a sheet of thick paper, which seems weirdly professional. My eyes run through the sentences, and I can't hear anything other than the blood roaring in my ears. It's a college acceptance. The college acceptance. I look up at mom with wide eyes.

"How?" I hadn't even finished writing the essay.

"I sort of edited your essay?" I would've ideally been cross with her, but I can't find it in myself to be angry at her right after she gave me the letter that will literally change my future.

"Mom, this is...this is amazing."

"Oh!" She squeals.

"Um, also, Clay asked me out. But I don't know if it's a date." A few seconds later, she says, "I'm pretty sure it is." The certainty in her voice provides me solace. With a last smile, she retreats to the door.

"Mom?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Thank you."

"You deserve it and then some, George."

-----

It's nearing six, and I'm patiently waiting for the doorbell to ring. My mom is watching me, an amused look on her face. Every few seconds, I check my phone for the time. At 5:59, the doorbell finally rings, and I jump up from the couch and to the door. Clay's standing there, in a green hoodie and a jacket on top of that.

"Hey." He smiles.

"Hi."

"You might want to take a jacket."

"I'll manage." He looks skeptical.

"Okay, if you say so. Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah." I nod, looking down at my shoes to make sure I tied them.

"Have him back before twelve, alright Clay?" My mom yells from the kitchen.

"Of course." After bidding my mom goodbye, I follow Clay to his car.

"So, where are we going?"

"Well, first we'll just go somewhere." I wait for him to elaborate. When he doesn't, I ask, "What else?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." I sigh. He turns the volume of the radio higher.

"Dream?"

"Yeah?"

"You really surprised me on Halloween." He eyes me curiously.

"How do you mean?"

"I didn't know you could sing."

"It's not something I tell everyone. But yeah, I do." He shrugs. I hum in consideration. About half an hour of idle chatter and filling silence with the songs on the radio, Clay pulls over near what looks like a campsite.

"You are impeccably cliched." I remark, watching his mouth quirk up at the corners.

"Mm, yeah, I guess you're right."

"Do you bring all the boys you ask out here?"

"Just the smart ones." He didn't deny that he asked me out. Maybe I'm reading too in between the lines.