christmas marathon

"here take the bag of peas they smell weird." i complain while tossing the bags towards him. we were both currently wrapped with frozen foods.

"thanks.." he mumbled while smelling the bag. as soon as we had them down we both sat down, exhaling in comfort. that comfort didn't last long cause the intercom buzzed.

i huffed while getting up dropping a bag that was on my face. immediately after i press the button kate's voice rang through, "it's me, i come bearing pizza and holiday cheer. let me in." i hum while buzzing her in before walking back to the couch.
...
"hey," kate came through the door with a... tree?

"hey."

"alright this is the classic hawkeye costume we've been waiting for." she said while putting the stuff down.

"what's all this for?" i asked while looking at all the stuff.

"this is me saving the holiday." she responded as she breathed out.

"is that right?"

"i'll get you home in time for the big day. figured in the meantime, we could celebrate. it's movie marathon night, right? check this out. i got movies." she showed off the movie collection in her hands.

we both smiled, "that's very thoughtful of you. thanks."

"but yeah, could we put a pause on that and talk about sword boy for a minute? you got good instincts, kid"

"what do you mean?" she asked confused.

"we did a little digging and sloans a shell company that launders money for the tracksuits. and jack duquesne is the CEO." i replied.

"you sure?" i nodded while clint hummed.

"okay, we'll, we're just gonna have to come up with a plan to take down my moms fiancés organized crime ring while simultaneously having a heartwarming holiday celebration." she tossed a sweater at clint's chest while tossing one in my face making me spill water i was drinking.

i slowly move the sweater on my face and give kate a questioning look, receiving a small 'sorry'

"got anymore of that slushy stuff?" she asked while walking into the kitchen.

"it's in the kitchen."
...

after changing into the christmas sweater, with the gingerbread from shrek with a broken leg, i sat down looking at kate.

"okay, cops. we need to get the cops off my back. TSM, we need to get them to leave us alone. and we need to figure out why and how jack is connected to it all."

"yeah," clint kicked my leg to snap me out of my daydream, "right." i smile acting as if i was paying attention.

"this is the part where you finish my sentence with a plan."

"plannings not really my thing." said clint.

"uh, kate, i don't think that's gonna erase." she turned her body attempting to swipe it off. she turned back around with a face making me chuckle
...
"you got any other tricks?" kate asked clint as we set up the tree.

"well, i can knock somebody unconscious with that, like, 20 feet away."

"no you cant." kate said in disbelief.

"i'd use a quarter or a nickel. a dmines too light."

"prove it."

"what, knock you unconscious."

"no, i want you to hit something. fine live forever without me believing you. i'll just tell every stranger that i see that..." i smirk while moving backwards after seeing him grab a coin from his pocket.

"whoa. you've got to show me how you do that." he smiled lightly. "alex'll teach you."
...
"alright make sure you have a nice snap. make sure you curve. just a little one. you got it, right?"
she attempted but only fell a few feet away from us and laughed.

"alright mimick what i do." i snap my fingers continuously. she flicked it making it go further.

"alright c'mere, angle your body like this." stepping towards her i put my hands on her waist moving her to the side a little.

"don't move your legs." i grab her shoulders and twisting it towards the right. "okay, shoot." i smirk when i see her blush a little before clearing her throat.

she flicked it making it soar through the air hitting the tv switch. "holy shit!" i smile and enthusiastically.

"not bad kate." i mumble grabbing my cup and sitting on the coffee table.

"not bad. all right. best shot you ever took?"

"uh, the one i didn't take."

"what does that mean?" she quizzed while smiling.

"uh, it means... never mind, shouldn't have said it."
he responds making me sigh.

"oh, come on you can't do that." she whines trying to get a response.

"never mind, it's nothin'"

"what? come on, consider it my christmas present."

"no, it's not the right time."

"look it'll be a good story, i'm sure..."

"it's just not a good story, okay?" he says making her shut up.

"it's... about the time i met someone. i was sent to take her out. and when i got there, when it was time.. um... i couldn't do it. i just had this feeling she wanted out. turns out i was right."

"you mean natasha." she responds making me swallow the lump in my throat.

"she was the best there was." i finally talk.

kate sighed, "i'm sorry."

he shrugged, "it's just a game of loss."

"you lost your family in the blip?" she asked making him shake his head and cocking it towards me.

"yeah," i chuckle humorlessly, "like half the world."

"god that must've been devastating."

"yeah."

"is that where you met the ronin?" she asked making me look down at my hands. sighing she spoke again, "it's you, isn't it?"

"everybody dealt with the blip in their own way. i continued doing what i learned to do."

"protect people."

"hurting people." i shook my head, "investigating first, but in the end, i always hurt people."

"you made mistakes, those are behind you." she attempts to forget about it but i shake my head.

"no, it's tied to me. tied to my family. that's why i'm here. and i cant go him til i fix it. i really appreciate what you did tonight. it means a lot."

"you know, you should get some rest. you got a big day tomorrow."

flashback

"get some sleep, we got a big day ahead of us." nat whispered as my eyes fought to stay open as the james bond movie played.

"goodnight aunt natasha." i whisper while closing my eyes

"goodnight bug."  i smile lightly at the nickname she gave me when i was a kid.

present

a tear drop fell from my eye as i frowned. "goodnight boss, night alex." kate waved at us as she walked away

"goodnight." my voice cracked at the end.  i flop down on the couch, my back facing the tv, "goodnight nat." i whisper while holding the ring on my chain before closing my eyes.