02.

Heartbreaks.

River.

"I saw them." I sobbed the moment I closed the door to my brother's office, he immediately left his sketch and came to embrace me, then the flood gates opened, that pain that shook your entire being, rocked your whole body in spasms of pain, I felt it, it hurt, as if my heart was being constricted, why did it hurt, why did I have to love him, now I couldn't undo any of it, and it hurt so much more. "Riley—." I quivered breaking into a cry again, falling to the floor in weakness, I cried, for all the promises he made, the moments we had shared, all of it, because now I was reliving them and realizing I couldn't have it all, I couldn't have him, I would only be his lover in the dark.

"Its alright babe, I'm here, I'm always going to be here." I appreciated his words, appreciated him for being there and telling me that he would be there, I would always be grateful. I didn't want to explain anything, I just opened my mind to his and he saw it all for himself, and after he did, he held me even tighter. I knew it wasn't just affection why he was suffocating me, he was holding on to me so that he wouldn't go murder the alpha's son, he was capable of doing it. "We'll be okay." He whispered as I sniffled, without a thought he picked me up like a bride, grabbed his keys and his phone. "Macy, I'm out for the day, reschedule everything for tomorrow." He ordered his assistant as we left, I just clung to my strong brother, he was the strong one of us.

As we got to his car, another car was being parked there. "Riley, River, are you alright?" He asked, it was Julian's father, Khan, neither of us replied, Riley set me down in his car and buckled me in. "Everything is alright alpha, River is feeling a bit off the weather, so I'm taking him home." My brother replied as he came over to the driver's side, I couldn't see the alpha but I could tell his eyes were on me, my magic was never wrong. "Yes, ofcourse, take care of him." He replied as Riley got into the car, without a care he sped off toward our home, our safe space. "He knows something is off." Riley whispered as he held my hand tightly. "It doesn't matter, we'll be fine, its all going to be fine." I assured Riley instead of him assuring me, but I didn't know if it was really true, were we going to be truly okay.

As we got home I could feel peace seep into me, the feeling of comfort and security, it overcame my whole being, wrapped me around in it and I gracefully accepted it. "How about you nap for a bit, and I make dinner." He suggested, and obviously it sounded like a suggestion but it wasn't, I was being told to rest, and sure I would, going against a lycan as strong as an alpha wasn't something I wanted to start doing, so I nodded as he carried me inside, then to his room, I didn't know why but being in my room with the state I was in, I don't think peace would come. As he tucked me in, Riley sat by the edge and tucked away stray strands of my silver hair just like mom does when she knows I'm not okay. "Youre gonna go to sleep my love, and you'll dream of a better tomorrow, filled with love, happiness and warmth, I love you." He whispered placing a kiss on my nose then my forehead. "Love you too honey." I mumbled with yawns escaping my lips, he was lulling me off to sleep, damn brotherly bond.

As sleep finally took hold of me and dreams led me to the world Riley described, one thing was certainly out of place. "Dad, catch me!" The silver haired little boy giggled as he ran across the flower field. "Farrow, wait for me!" A girl almost identical to the little boy yells as she too take off giggling non stop. "Oh I'm about to catch you." I warn running toward them, cornering them with magical barriers, their eyes blaze a molten gold before they hold hands and jump into the air. "No fair you're flying." I call out and they laugh even more, I wave my hand creating a white shield that closely resembled a snowflake and forced them down to where I caught them. "Gotcha." I triumphantly cheer as we all roll in the flowery field. As a shadow approached, the dream ended, and I woke up gasping for air, mind reeling from being dragged down into a vision of the future.

It was nighttime, and I was sure Riley was done cooking but because of my breakdown, he allowed me to sleep in more. The door was opened and I turned to look at who was coming in with eyes blazing ready to attack. "Whoa, why do you want to attack your own brother?" He questioned and I sighed, letting go of the magic I had amassed. "I don't know, I'm just paranoid I guess." I replied as he came to sit next to me, that's when I noticed he was half naked, he had gone to train, then showered, didn't bother with a tee shirt, like always, his pecs, abs of steel and arms of titanium all out on display. "Well kick paranoia to the curb, you have to eat, take a bath, and come ask for blessings with me." He exclaimed and the last part made me recall that tonight was a full moon, Riley and I always asked for blessings on full moons.

So we got downstairs, ate together as he explained the project he needed help with and how he didn't know how to design the interior since I always did it for him, it was an easy enough task. "If they have preferences, you need to hear them out." I offered and he scoffed. "Remember how much of a nightmare it was trying to design Zaya's family home, that was a nightmare." He shot back and I couldn't argue, it had really been a nightmare since the family had so many preferences per person that it was hard to pick what style they wanted. I finished my food first because Riley was feeding me, yeah, I was currently being a baby and whining for effect. "Go take a bath, I will come up soon to check on you, I hope you don't fall asleep in there." He warned making me snicker, so instead of a bath, I just showered with scalding hot water, I wanted to feel anything else, just not my repressed emotional pain.

Within twenty minutes I was done, and we had our candles, salt and offerings ready, but before we could go, the door bell rang making Riley groan, I just left him to go see who it was, as I made my way to the backyard. Opening the double doors, I was surprised to see several wolves coming from the woods, they all shifted, wore clothes  before fully walking toward the house. I stood there, surprised by it. "Riley!" I yelled immediately, not knowing what to do, he rushed over to me with the alpha in tow. "Its alright River." Elder Errin asserted as I finally noticed her. "We came to thank you." She explained as Selia, her daughter, came foward with her daughter and her mate. "Thank you witch of fates, if it wasn't for you, my daughter would've been killed." Selia spoke making me aware that they had indeed come to thank me.

"It was a pleasure." I replied with a small smile. "And its something we wont take lightly, you readily helped the pack without asking for something in return, most of the witches around would've asked for compensation, but you didn't, and you never do, its why I wanted the family and the pack to thank you, thank you both." The alpha stated making me smile and nod toward him. "Its alright alpha Khan, we are all children of the goddess, we must help each other." I assured as he nodded. "Alright, we have a ceremony to do, everyone get back home safely." Riley announced, that wasn't subtle, he never wanted to be, at all, he wanted them gone. "Riley don't be rude, youre welcome to join us." I offered and they all agreed.

"Gather around everyone." I exclaimed and they all did as told, spreading the salt around us all with Riley's help, I made the binding circle, in the middle we placed our offerings, the candles, I had to conjure more so that everyone had one. "Kneel before the goddess, under the full moon, and ask for her blessings, in whatever you want." I instructed as I kneeled between the alpha and my brother. "Goddess of our creation, we beseech you, bless us your children yet again, as we offer nothing but ourselves: ente macion verrati egnus." I spoke above everyone as the candles we held flared, the offerings burned in a white flame vanishing, and the moonlight shone brighter on us than anywhere else. Selia and her daughter along with the other lycans gasped as sparkling fairy dust cascaded on top of us, it healed me and others, giving our souls peace.

The candles flared again once more before returning to normal and the salt melted away, and when they did flowers bloomed, the ritual was done. The alpha breathed in deep, as everyone else. After finally being chased away by Riley, everyone left, the alpha stood by the tree line watching me. I waved him off and he reciprocated. "Simply divine." He whispered as I noticed another familiar pair of eyes in the darkness, immediately I walked back inside and shut the door, not today.

+++

Saint_Jay