13 - ZIRI --> LYRIUMIA

They'd successfully pissed off Vexaeĩ to the point where the creature was chasing them through the forest. Ema and Jay, having found the clearing, led the way. Nikki and Xix made sure the creature stayed on their heels. One of Vexaeĩ's heads leaned in closer, smoke bellowing from its nostrils. Xix yelped, throwing up a crimson shield as fire shot toward them. The flames bounced off it and into the trees. The small group kept running, Ema quickly circling back to put out the fire. She rushed to catch up.

"Pick up the pace!" Xix yelled. "It's almost on top of us!"

"We're almost there," Ema panted. "Just a little further."

They charged into the empty clearing, all turning back to the Hydra. It crashed through the trees, ripping them from their roots. It stopped in front of the group and roared. The very air shimmered. The image of the empty clearing vanished, replaced with something that made the group forget about the beast baring down on them.

The clearing glowed with life-energy. A large spring-filled pond lay in the centre of the clearing, surrounded by all sides on golden trees. Its water glittered in the sunlight. The grass was no longer there, instead covered with many colourful flowers. They all gave off the loveliest scents one could ever imagine. Animals watched curiously from the pond, from under flowers, from the tree line.

"This place," Ema breathed. "It's . . . It's . . ."

Jay tackled her to the ground as a Hydra head clamped down where she'd been standing.

"I was going to say something like beautiful," Ema muttered from where she lay on her back, "but the moment is gone."

Nikki grabbed Ema's sword and charged. Vexaeĩ turned its attention to her. Nikki jumped into the air and, with a cry, slammed the hilt of Ema's sword into one of the heads. It slumped forward. Nikki glanced at Xix who nodded.

Xix charged her power, red lighting zapping around her hands. She raised her arms until she was in the correct pose, legs spread and hands held out toward the creature. She'd never done a spell like this before but, well, there was no time like the present to learn. Naka's voice spoke in her mind, giving her the worlds she needed.

Xix spoke in the Old Language: "I name you Vexaeĩ, Guardian of Orura, Keeper of the Secret Spring, Protector of the Power of Life. I name you Vexaeĩ, the Five-Headed Beast with Power of Elements. By the power of Naka, I bid you let us pass. We are of no harm, we come seeking guidance. By the Father of Life, I order you: return to your place of rest and continue to watch."

Red light left her hands as though it were smoke, overtaking Vexaeĩ. The smoke darkened. Vexaeĩ's movements becoming slower. It looked over the group once more before turning away and disappearing back into the forest. Safe, Xix fell to her hands and knees, panting.

Nikki braced her hands on her hips. "You couldn't have done that before we let it chase us?"

"Not my plan," Xix said, convincing her body to let her sit properly. "Vexaeĩ had to be in the Spring for us to access it. I think if I'd done that back in the forest, we'd still be standing in that empty clearing."

"Magic is so weird," Nikki said, shaking her head. "What is this, then, an alternate dimension?"

"Something like that," Jay answered, looking around in awe.

Ema, however, had overcome her initial amazement. "We have a spring. Where's a Goddess?"

"Behind you," a voice answered. The four spun around.

Standing in the centre of the pond stood a woman who could only be the Goddess Orura. She was dark-skinned with rainbow eyes and rainbow-tinted cream-coloured hair brushing her thighs. She wore a white off the shoulder dress, the lacey see-through skirt revealing white tights which matched the boddice. She wore no shoes and dangle diamond earrings which glittered in the sunlight. She had an air of pride about her and radiated confidence. This woman was powerful and she knew it.