17 - ABANDONED CITY

Having discovered that jumping from rooftop to rooftop was a bad idea, Colt found himself dashing through the maze of streets. He used one particularly tall building, some sort of old church whose steeple stood tall and proud, to centre himself. The sound had come from behind the building, so that was where he ran.

The closer he got to the sound, the more Colt felt its presence. While most buildings appeared to be crumbling from age, some had clear signs of combat damage. The ground was full of gaping holes, entire sides of buildings were missing as though a missile had hit, plumes of dust rose from everywhere. Whatever had happened here was recent. Colt spun as he heard the roar again. He was close. The next block, if his guesstimating was right.

Not wanting to go in blind, Colt risked taking the rooftops. When he came into view of the creature, he could not believe his eyes. Of everything it could have been, not once did the idea that the creature was a Griffin of all things cross his mind. Though Colt did have to admit it explained the sound of the roar. It's eagle-like wings were spread wide and strong, a clear sign of aggression. Its lion's tail swished this way and that as it reared onto its back paws, slashing at its target with black talons. Colt dared a glance at who was being attacked.

His jaw dropped. "That is impossible . . ."

Despite not seeing her for a long time, Colt recognised the woman immediately. She had dark skin, frizzy black hair and obsidian eyes. She wore a long, sleeveless, figure-hugging linen dress covered in a variety of beads. On her arms were golden bangles, on her ankles were golden anklets, and she wore no shoes. Around her neck was a simple lapis pendant of the Eye of Hours. In her hand was a short, wooden staff topped with a head made of clear quartz and lapis lazuli.

Her name was Bast, and she had died long ago.

Colt watched on in awe as his childhood friend fought against the griffin. She dove out of the way as claws came down, raining sand over her. Colt grimaced at the attack.

Bast took up a defensive position and yelled in Kemetic, "If anyone can hear me, I really need some help!"

The griffin reared back again, letting out a piercing cry. Bast gasped as it came at her, beak wide—

Cot jumped from the building, golden power flaring at his fist. He punched the griffin square in the head. It fell to the ground in an explosion of dust. Not dead, not even unconscious, just stunned.

Colt jumped down to where Bast knelt and held out a hand. She accepted it gratefully. "Are you okay?" he asked in Kemetic.

Bast, wide-eyed and trying to get a handle on her shaking, nodded. "Yeah, thank you." She looked around. "Was starting to think no one was here."

"No one is here," he said. "This place looks like it was abandoned centuries ago."

"Oh." She cocked her head. "You are not from here either?"

"No." Colt rubbed the back of his head. "I walked into a rift accidently. Well, almost accidently. I was looking for a rift but it was sooner than intended." He managed a sheepish smile as his old friend laughed. "How did you get here, Bast?"

Her laughter stopped. Colt watched as her guard was immediately raised. "How do you know my name?"

Colt blinked. "You don't . . ." He trailed off with a groan. "New body, right. You would not recognise me like this."

Bast crossed her arms, still holding her small staff. "We have met before?"

"Wait, I can prove it." Colt snapped his fingers as he thought. "Something only we would know . . . Oh! When we were seven, I was almost bitten by a snake. It jumped out a tree and tried to attack me. You grabbed it and threw it out of the garden, and I asked if you were possessed by the spirit of Horus."