Chapter 9

"Time limit!?" I ask in panic

"What?! That's not fair!" Tenko shouted

"Geez, why'd you guys even come to this school if you're not gonna do the killing game?" Monokuma replied

"You're the one that forced us to come here!" Yelled Kaito

Everyone then kept yelling at Monokuma for the next few minutes. But that didn't change anything. Eventually, they all stopped and Monokuma left.

"What are we going to do? Nighttime in 2 days...will be here in an instant." Tsumugi feared

"Th-There's gotta be somethin' we can do... I can't die... The world needs my genius!" Miu replied

"I don't wanna....I don't wanna die yet!" Kokichi cried

"...yet?" I mumble, barely loud enough for anyone to hear

"You don't need to worry. Atua will welcome you with open arms." Angie said

"...That's after we die, right?" Himiko lowered her hat to cover half of her face

"W-We can't panic about something like this. I'll....do something about it." Kaito reassured

"...Did you have a course of action in mind?" Keebo asked

"I'm...gonna start thinking of one right now!"

"...Figures. I didn't expect anything from you in the first place." Maki spoke up

"We gotta fight back then...!" I say, trying to reassure myself as well as the others.

"Yeah! If we strike them with some sneak attacks, we might have a chance at winning!" Tenko agreed with me

"Come, everyone! Gonta use body, keep everyone safe!"

"You're going to go against those machines barehanded? Isn't that too reckless?" Ryoma questioned

"B-But...we have to do it! If we don't, we'll die!" Tenko replied

"Wait! We still have plenty of time to come up with other options—" Keebo said

"We've no time to be indecisive. We are being urged to make a decision... To die fighting, or die from the time limit." Korekiyo said calmly

"Why do both choices involve us dying!?" Tsumugi asked

"No way... Are we really gonna die? I don't wanna die yet. I'm gonna survive! I'm gonna make it no matter what!" Kokichi added, tears falling from his eyes.

"N-No matter what...?" Kaede paused before she spoke up again. "Wait! You can't do that, though! Even if you make a mistake, you can't—"

"Then you'll accept the blame?" Kokichi's tears 'magically' disappeared and he put on a smile.

"Huh?" Kaede was visibly confused

"Will you accept the blame if I die? I have people who'll be sad if I die, y'know."

"U-Um...Well—"

"Nishishi...I'm lying. No one will be sad if I die." Kokichi acted like that didn't bother him, but..I'm sure it must have. "...But I dunno if the same can be said for everyone else. Anyway...I'm gonna take off now."

"Hm? Where are you going, Kokichi?" I ask

"Oh, I don't knooow. Maybe I'll go back to my room and just think things over. Alone."

"A-Alone in your room? What do you mean by that? Are you invitin' me to come kill you?" Miu said

"Miu?" Kirumi said, everyone's attention falling on Miu.

"N-Not that I'd...try to claim that perk for myself... I-I'm way too classy to kill someone! Talking to you idiots is exhausting... I'm gonna go to my room and rest!

"Miu, you better not do anything shady, okay!?" I yell to her as she walks away

"There is no need to worry, is there? No one is going to...kill anyone, right?" Keebo asked, unsure if what he was saying was true.

"If someone is going to kill, they should just go for the robot." Himiko said

"That's even worse!" Keebo panicked

"Hmm...so everyone feels that killing is wrong...but why is that?" Korekiyo spoke up "Of course I know it to be against the law. But laws are simply rules people decided upon. This is a space removed from those rules. Therefore, we've no need to follow them."

"By killing someone, you are taking away their life by force. It's just common sense, so of course killing would be bad. Unless the person who is being killed...wants to be killed? Then, I guess it's not so bad.." I reply

"Even if it is to survive...? We are as guinea pigs upon a lab table... We cannot be picky about our means of survival." Korekiyo responded

"Ah, What..?" I ask

"Kehehe... I only wish to observe the beauty of humanity and witness the depths of its sins. So you've no need to fear me." And with that, Korekiyo left the room. He...sure is a strange one, but I do like his character. Everyone stayed silent for a bit.

"He's...not wrong tho. If we want to stay alive, standing around isn't going to do anything." Then I started walking out of the dining hall. I had no idea where I was going to go now, I just needed to get out of there.

——

I've been walking aimlessly around the halls for a couple of minutes now. Originally, I was just going to go back to my room but I have nothing to do in there besides sleep. And then I thought about going to Kokichi's room, but I don't wanna seem...creepy. I usually hang out with Tenko or Kaede but they're both still in the dining hall.

After a few more minutes of wondering what to do, I just decided to go to Kokichi's room. I found myself standing in front of his door, hesitating to knock on it, but I did.

"Nishishishi! Who is it?~" I heard his voice coming closer to the door as it opened "oh, Y/n! What brings you to my dorm?" He said in a playful tone.

"Oh well, I'm just...um, bored y'know?" He just laughed and gestured for me to come in his room as he closed the door behind me. His room was quite messy, but I just ignored it and sat on his bed.

"And you decide you hang out with me out of all people? Woooww I'm honoured"

"Don't flatter yourself, Kokichi."

"Nishishi!" He shuffled around his room for a bit before he came to sit next to me.

"Y'know, with your Ultimate talent, it might be really easy to kill someone!"

"Huh? How so?" I ask

"Well, fire is dangerous. You could just burn the person to death"

"I...don't think it's that easy. And plus, I don't plan on killing someone. Or being killed either. I intend to survive..." I pause for a second then continue talking. "Oh and also about what you said in the dining hall earlier, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself! I'm sure plenty of people back home will be sad if you died."

The male just looked to the floor, I couldn't really make out his expression, but I don't think it was a happy one. More like a disappointed or sad one.,

"How kind of you.. buuut I'm afraid that's not the case! Or maybe it is? I dunno, I could be lying, nishishi~"

"What...? You're so confusing." I place my hand on my head "oh well, lying or not, I'll be sad if you died..."

"Ooo really? Why?"

"Because, I consider you a friend! And you seem fun so..." Suddenly, I was brought into a hug. Kokichi...hugged me? Why..?

"Nishishi! I don't hear that very often.." I felt him smile as he pressed his face against my shoulder.

Our hug was interrupted by the monitor turning on. It was the Monokubs announcing that it was nighttime.

"Well that's my cue, byee Kokichi! See ya tomorrow" I wave as I walked away, turning around to look at him once more, he had a smile plastered on his face as he waved at his door.

I entered my doom room and got ready for bed, not taking long for me to fall asleep.