𝟎𝟑. 𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫?!?

CHAPTER THREE—RUNNER?!?
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

FRYPAN SHOOK THE GIRL AWAKE, they had set up a bed for her on the floor. she groaned as she turned away from him, not wanting to open her eyes.

"come on, greenie, nick's here." he mumbled and she gave in, slowly opening her eyes and sat up, facing nick. as she rubbed her eyes he walked over to her whilst frypan walked out.

"follow me." he simply said those two words and followed frypan, emmy rushing over to go after him.

"what? where are we going?" she scoffed but got no answer. "hello? leader guy?! answer me!" her comments made nick turn around and point a finger in her face.

"shut up." he muttered and turned back round, walking out of homestead. frypan and minho were the only others awake.

minho watched her as she walked with nick, her hair bounced as she walked. when she caught his eye, he didn't look away. neither did she. she couldn't get her mind off him, it was nick that broke their stares by stopping.

"we're here." he announced, handing her a knife and a hammer. it was a wall with the names of all the gladers filling it. "engrave your name on the wall, it's a tradition."

emmy approached the wall and searched for an empty spot, she ended up settling on a spot next to minho and newt's names. once she had finished, minho approached her as she looked at it with a tilted head.

"looks alright, greenie." he smiled and she shook her head.

"nah, it looks shit. i should've put it in that spot." she pointed to one next to ben's name and minho shook his head and put his arm around her.

"i think it looks perfect next to mine." he smirked and gave the girl a wink before getting shoved in the back by frypan.

"stop flirting with she-bean and help me in the kitchen like you promised." he smiled, half joking.

"why should i— you know what? fine." he sighed and followed frypan, emmy watching him as he walked away. then, her heart skipped a beat when she felt a hand on her shoulder, scared it would be nick or someone she didn't like.

she turned around and it was newt, she sighed with relief.

"i thought you were nick." she chuckled awkwardly and he raised an eyebrow.

"oh yeah? and why would that be a bad thing, eh?" he questioned and walked closer to her. "minho's staring." he whispered when she turned around and caught him staring at her for the second time today. her face heated up and her cheeks turned a bright shade of red. newt chuckled.

"shut up, newt." she shoved his shoulder and he snickered and stepped back.

"you know it's against the rules to date minho..." his smirk grew as he continued to talk about the topic.

"i know. what am i doing today?" she quickly changed the subject and he smiled.

"you are with me, greenie." he hastily grabbed her arm and dragged her towards the gardens. "we need more gardeners, it's only zart and me." he told her and emmy rolled her eyes.