𝟏𝟕. 𝐛𝐚𝐝 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩

SEVENTEEN — BAD LEADERSHIP
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

EMMY WALKED ACROSS the glade, her blonde hair bouncing as she did so. the girl was headed to the small lake that she had found a few weeks before.

however, she was interrupted by alby. the leader seemed to be in a better mood then usual.

"hey...?" she said with a hint of confusion.

the two had barely talked, despite him being first in command. she had absolutely no idea as to why he approached her.

"hey, emmy." alby replied, he even had the smallest hint of a smile on his face. "i need to talk to you, is now a good time?"

the girl simply nodded in return, now very curious as to what he was going to say.

"okay, i've chosen you to be second in command." he told her, emmy's jaw dropped and her eyes widened as a response.

"are you sure?" was all she could think to say. "i mean —  if you want a leader you should ask minho or even gally."

alby seemed to be disappointed with his reaction, his mood changed almost instantly.

"it's not exactly your choice, shank. so, just take one for the team, yeah?" he said with a stern voice, rolling his eyes and placing his hands on his hips

she was more hurt then shocked at his reaction. "alby, i'm just thinking about what's best for everyone. i—"

"right, well, i make the decisions around here, alright? i've been here a lot longer than you have, so i know what's best." alby spat, getting more enraged by the second. "you're second in command, end of discussion."

when he stormed off, emmy stood in an immense amount of confusion. she had absolutely no idea what had just happened and why he got so angry.

the girl decided to head towards the kitchen, forgetting about where she was going before the conversation.

she swung the door open, startling the cook.

"sorry, fry." emmy said as he rolled his eyes at her. "i just had the weirdest conversation with alby."

"alby? what did he say?" frypan asked, pausing what he was doing to talk to the girl.

"he wants me to be second in command?" she scoffed, expecting her friend to have a similar reaction.

"that's great!" he beamed, the girl shrugging in return.

"i dunno. i feel like it's too much pressure."

frypan shook his head, a smile still on his face. "no, no, you'll do great." he paused. "you'd be doing more for the gladers."

"yeah, i know but—" emmy began, getting cut off.

"just do it, yeah?" he grinned, going back to his cooking. "we all need to do our part, you know."

"but, fry, i am doing my part." she sighed, placing her hands on her hips. "i run that shuck maze every bloody day, why am i complied to be a leader, too?"