𝟎𝟗. 𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐞𝐬

CHAPTER NINE—MASHED POTATOES
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

THE GREENIE'S NAME took longer to come back than it usually would, but after a few days he finally remembered. oliver was his name, he hated it but emmy thought it was quite nice.

newt had already given him the nickname "ollie" which emmy thought was sweet. the two had obviously caught feelings for each other, but nobody seemed to notice other than her.

in result of his head injury, minho had to take a few days off. this killed him because he loved running more than most things, he was definitely a workaholic. this entire week he had just been complaining about being bored. but he was back in the maze today.

also, emmy did in fact retrieve the books she asked for. even better, she had gotten three. in the three days she had already read one, which was quite impressive considering she's a runner and is always in the maze.

without even asking emmy, nick already asked for more books for the girl. after seeing how much she enjoyed them, he thought it would be a no brainer. and he was right, nick hadn't seen emmy smile so much once he told her what he had put on the list.

"thank you!" she squealed and wrapped her arms around the boy, way too excited for a few books. it made nick laugh, seeing her so happy.

"i better go, i have to go running and that." emmy smiled and ran over to minho, who simply waved.

"hey, gorgeous." he winked as he finished tying his right shoelace. he put on his harness and gloves, emmy caught herself staring. although she hated to admit it, she actually found minho slightly attractive.

"hiya, handsome." emmy decided to flirt back, making the boy raise a surprise eyebrow.

"is that my name now? because i've gotta tell you, gorgeous, i like that one." minho smirked, not keeping his eyes off of the blonde.

"hmm, gonna be honest, i prefer calling you shank." emmy laughed, minho pouted and she rolled her eyes. "you don't like that one? how about slinthead?"

"shuck off, gorgeous." he scoffed and emmy just chuckled as she put on her harness, copying exactly what minho was doing just moments before.

"ready to go?" she asked after a bit, holding her knife ready to cut the ivy. minho just nodded and the pair already began running. "you're so slow, shank!" she laughed as minho grumbled something under his breath.

_________________

it was dinner time now, emmy was sat on a picnic table with the greenie, minho, and newt. she hadn't eaten any of her food, she had just pushed it around her plate.

oliver and newt were sat next to each other, opposite minho and emmy. the conversation was mainly between newt and minho, talking about klunk that doesn't matter at all. the girl had completely zoned out and just stared at the mashed potato on her plate.

"hey, you okay?" minho muttered to her, catching her attention again.

"yeah, i'm just not hungry." she smiled and out down her fork. the boy nodded and continued his conversation with newt.

frypan walked over and slid in next to emmy, her face slightly brightened up when she saw the cook. he glared at the girl when he saw her full plate.

"do you not like my food?" frypan scoffed and began eating the food off of his own plate.

"she's not hungry, calm down." newt chuckled, frypan just rolled his eyes in reply.

"your food is great, fry, i'm just not a fan of mashed potatoes." emmy shrugged and oliver gasped.

"you don't like mashed potatoes?!?" he seemed so hurt, it made the blonde girl laugh.

"i can't believe it." minho sighed and grabbed her plate, pouring her food onto his.

"minho!" emmy exclaimed and grabbed the plate back, smacking him around the head.

to stop everyone's annoyed comments, emmy ate the potatoes and made a face of disgust. the whole table just rolled their eyes and she gave up, putting her fork onto her plate.

"i'll make you something else if you want." frypan shrugged and emmy shook her head.

"it's alright, don't worry about it." she smiled and minho put a hand on her shoulder.

"can i eat it now?" was what he said, making newt and oliver burst into giggles.

emmy smacked his hand off of her shoulder, giving him a glare. she waited a second before pushing the plate towards him.

his face lit up before he thanked her and quickly ate the food, making the corner of emmy's mouth turn up. she didn't know why, but she found it cute how he loved the potatoes. it made her feel sick when she thought this way about minho, he's just a friend in the glade. nothing less, nothing more.

he looked up as she stared, both of them quickly looking away and staring at the table. everyone else on the table was too focused on their own conversation to notice the looks that minho and emmy exchanged.

"you like mashed potatoes, huh?" she asked, breaking the silence they held.

"well, considering i'm eating them you'd think that i like them." minho sassed, making emmy's eyes roll into the back of her head.

"slinthead." she mumbled.

"shuck-face." he replied, giving her the finger too.

"shank." emmy threw back, also giving him a middle finger.

"shucking piece of klunk." he spat before frypan jumped in,

"calm down, minho." he snickered and finished his plate, placing his fork on it. "be nice to each other, stop acting like shucking children."

newt and oliver looked over, finally breaking apart from their own conversation.

"bloody hell, fry, it's not that deep." emmy laughed, taking a sip from her water.

"well you're the one who didn't like my mashed potatoes!" frypan defended and raised his hands in the air.

"jesus christ, emmy, you've really pissed off our fry now." newt laughed and glanced over to oliver, who was chuckling at the british boy's comment.

"newt's right, you've really hurt me." he jokingly put his hand to his heart and began fake crying.

emmy held in her laughter and just gave them an eye roll.

a/n sorry that it's kind of another filler chapter

i also re-wrote this chapter, so if you saw the other one forget about that lol