𝟎𝟕. 𝐧𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐞

CHAPTER SEVEN—NO LONGER GREENIE
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

new month, new greenie. although emmy's time as a greenie had come to an end, she still felt like an outcast. she just begged for a girl to come up in the box. but for some reason, she knew that was near to impossible.

emmy had been running in the maze ever since george's death, which she tried to forget about. no matter how hard she tried, the boy's face didn't leave her mind.

minho had been someone that emmy stuck by, he was a good friend. they both ran together and it worked. two opposites attracted each other.

nick didn't like watching them bond, he liked minho. he didn't want to banish the boy if he caught them "doing something".

over the past month emmy had grown to become introverted, except when she's around minho. she would mostly sit by herself unless he sat down by her— then others would follow. the boy was the definition of a leader, it was something emmy respected about him.

newt was another boy emmy didn't mind, he also seemed quite closed off. they occasionally shared small, weird conversations that made no sense to anyone else. emmy always looked forward to those.

then there was frypan, he had been on emmy's good side ever since they first met. he was sweet to her and didn't treat her any differently than he would treat the other gladers. frypan was definitely emmy's favourite.

there was one boy in particular emmy could not stand, that boy was gally. not only did he not even attempt to be kind to her, he was purposely rude. it infuriated the girl. she tried her best to talk to him, but he gave her the cold shoulder. it sucked because he seemed genuinely interesting to emmy.

she just hoped that the new greenie wouldn't be a complete and utter shank.

oh yeah, glader language was another thing emmy had picked up. it was almost natural to her now, although she didn't use it quite as much as the other boys did.

later on today emmy would be meeting the new greenie and showing them around. for now, she was running the maze with minho.

"what do you think the new greenie will be like?" emmy asked and minho just shrugged in response. "i hope it's a girl, i'm very lonely." she laughed but still got no response. "if you don't answer i'm just going to start rambl—."

"i hope it's a girl, too." minho broke his silence and cut the girl off, making her smile.

after running for a few hours, they sat down to have lunch. most of lunch they sat in silence, as they were trying to catch their breath, but then they talked about everything but also nothing.

"em?" he spoke up after finishing his sandwich, emmy looked up in reply. "you haven't touched your food."

"i'm nervous about the greenie." she sighed and picked up her food, taking a bite out of it. "i feel like... i dunno."

"oh wow, em, that must be really hard on you!" minho rolled his eyes at her response and emmy glared at his sarcasm. "hurry up, we have to keep running." he sighed, switching the conversation.

"i just started." emmy groaned and he shrugged and stood up whilst she stuffed the remains of her sandwich in her mouth. "fry's sandwiches are always so good, damn." she muttered to herself and brushed the crumbs off of her shirt.

they began running again, emmy obviously faster but never seemed to realise. she glided her knife across the ivy and watched it split. her hair blew in the wind, but it seemed more graceful than messy to minho.

once they got back to glade, the greenie was immediately introduced to emmy. he couldn't remember his name, just like the others. she found him quite cute, he had dark skin and short hair.

"hey, i'm emmy." she smiled, the greenie also finding her cute. "i'm the only girl in this place."

he studied her features, she had a nice nose and soft blonde hair. her skin was perfectly clear and she had green eyes.

"nice to meet you, emmy." the greenie smiled and shook her hand as they made direct eye contact.

it was minho who broke it, by cutting in and putting his arm around emmy. she became flushed as she was unfamiliar with her friend being so 'touchy feely' with her. when she looked up she saw him smiling at her, his nice smile. the new boy grew clearly uncomfortable by minho's presence.

"i'm minho, keeper of the runners." he smirked and let go of emmy. "well, i better be off then." he smiled and waved to the two.

"i hate to ask this but are you two... a thing?" the greenie questioned and the girl was quick to shake her head.

"no, absolutely not. it's banned, actually, so even if we wanted to we couldn't, you know?" she began to ramble and the boy understood, slowly nodding.

"so nobody could date anyone?" he wondered, looking in the distance and making emmy confused. that was until she caught his eyes on newt.

"yeah, sorry." she sighed and patted his shoulder and they both moved along.

a/n this is kind of a filler chapter, other than the new greenie's appearance. sorry it's short