𝟏𝟓. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

FIFTEEN — THE LAKES
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

tw: mention of suicide

SHE WATCHED AS he sulked back to his own room. she didn't want to upset him, but it was too late for that.

emmy had never seen minho cry. she hadn't even witnessed his eyes watering.

in the morning, minho seemed to not remember much. she looked over at him at breakfast, he held his head in his hands and barely moved.

seeing him vulnerable last night was odd, he's never acted that way around anyone. she wondered what drove him to do that.

eventually, he finished his breakfast and got ready for his run. emmy watched him as he talked to ben, his new partner, spotting a small smile on his face.

the girl didn't even notice a mirrored expression on her own face. she looked down at her shoe to tie it, looking up to see that minho had disappeared.

she sighed in disappointment before running into the maze herself, dragging her blade across the ivy.

it was incredibly lonely, emmy had missed the sarcastic boy she used to run with.

the girl knew that she had messed everything up. she knew things could never go back to the way they were.

she was aware that she had taken minho and everyone in the glade for granted. her grief had ruined all of the relationships she had.

her tears fogged her path, forcing her to allow them to fall out of her eyes. she stopped, catching her breath and feeling the tears trickle down her cheeks.

emmy stretched her run out for as long as she could, returning only an hour before the doors were set to close.

minho had his hands on his hips, she could see the relief in his eyes when she returned to the glade.

"shank!" he yelled with an angry tone. "you know you shouldn't stay in the maze that late." she just shrugged, walking past him but quickly getting followed.

"if you do that again, you're getting benched." minho sighed, watching as the girl's jaw dropped.

"that's so unfair!" emmy complained but he didn't seem to care. she watched as his eyebrows raised, waiting for her to agree to his terms.

"fine, whatever." she muttered, rolling her eyes.

he nodded and she began to walk away before being stopped once again.

"we are going to have that talk later, shank." he said, she gave the boy a small smile of reassurance before walking away.

minho waited for her to finish mapping, patiently standing there with his arms crossed. once emmy finally walked out the room, she was startled by the eager boy.

"lets go talk. now." he stated, motioning for her to follow him. she didn't even attempt to argue, emmy knew minho would eventually get his way.

the boy took her to a spot in the woods that she had never seen before. there was a beautiful lake, it was so clear that emmy could see her own reflection.