𝟎𝟔. 𝐰𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬

CHAPTER SIX—WONDERS
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

AFTER AROUND A WEEK spent in the glade, only very few of the gladers had actually talked to the greenie. she was closed off, not that she had anything to open up about.

most of the gladers had given up on emmy. but one in particular just wouldn't let her go.

that glader was minho. emmy had always caught him staring, it didn't even weird her out. when he tried to approach her she just walked away.

the boy emmy was closest with was frypan, the cook, it was mainly because she had been sleeping in his room. as much as she didn't want to admit it, she liked fry. he was easy to get along with, he didn't ask questions, and he made her laugh. she also worked in the kitchen with him.

soon emmy would have her own room, gally was mainly making it. he was a builder and he was also an asshole. however, she did think it was nice of him to get her a room of her own.

it would be on the bottom floor, they were adding an extension just for her. no matter how much she complained about the gladers, she was grateful they were being so nice to her.

emmy had found a nice spot next to a small pond that she liked to stay. it was far enough from the boys that she would get peace and quiet. for hours she would sit there and stare into the water.

that's exactly what she was doing now, until nick showed up.

"we have a gathering, greenie. surprise; it's about you!" he joked and emmy nodded, getting up from her spot and following him to a hut where they held the keepers meetings.

when emmy walked in all eyes were on her. she began to grow uncomfortable and started to click her fingers. the girl had no idea what she had done wrong.

"you going tell me what this is about, then?" she spoke, beginning to grow more confident. she caught minho smirking just before stepping forward.

"i want to make you a runner, shank." as his words filled the room, keepers began to roll their eyes.

arguments broke out as emmy began to feel overwhelmed, she hadn't even got her opinion out yet. frypan began arguing with gally, who was against her being a runner. he had told gally that he was a "misogynistic shank" right before nick stepped in.

"shut up!" he yelled and the room quickly fell silent, nick turned to the greenie. "what's your opinion on this?"

once again, all eyes were on her as she gulped and shrugged.

"i don't- i don't know." emmy stumbled on her words as gally pointed at her, as if she was proving his point.

"see! she doesn't even want to do it!" he shouted right in frypan's face, earning a shove from him back.

"well she doesn't really get a choice." alby spoke up, his arms crossed. "none of us got to choose our jobs. i saw we make her a runner."

disappointment washed over her, she had really enjoyed working with frypan. although, being a runner did sound interesting. fuck this, she's going to run the maze.

"i'll be a runner." she sighed and minho's face lit up. he clapped and put his arm around her.

"i win, shanks! we've got ourselves a new runner." he looked directly at gally which pissed off the boy. a groan was also heard from winston, who hadn't even talked to the girl since she arrived.

emmy ever so slightly smiled as she looked up at minho and saw a huge grin. he had a nice smile.

"fine, she'll be a runner starting tomorrow." nick confirmed and minho cheered and walked out of the gathering with emmy. he began to walk away before emmy stopped him.

"why do you want me to be a runner so bad?" she asked and minho's attention was now completely focused on her as he turned around.

"because, you're good at running." he shrugged and emmy raised an eyebrow.

"newt told me something, that you have a crush on me. is that true?" she slowly walked closer to him and minho shook his head.

"nah, i'm not into that lovey-dovey klunk." he placed his hands on his hips and emmy nodded.

"good, because i'm not either." she straightened her posture and minho began to walk off again but once again emmy stopped him.

"i have a question."

"what's your question, darling?" he smirked, knowing the nickname would piss her off.

"never mind." emmy rolled her eyes, beginning to walk away but his hand caught her wrist.

"what's your question, em?" he corrected himself and this time she smiled at the nickname he gave her.

"what do i look like?" she gave in and he let go of her wrist and swallowed.

"well, you have blonde hair but your roots are more brown and it kinda fades. looks nice, though. you have green eyes and a nice nose, you know?" emmy smiled at his description. "you aren't half bad looking, some would even call you pretty."

her cheeks began to heat up as she nodded and thanked the boy, walking off to frypan's room. she sat down on his bed and looked around, he had a nice room. not that she had seen any of the other boy's rooms.

frypan walked through the door and was somewhat surprised to see emmy.

"hey, she-bean." he softly mumbled as he shut the door behind him. she gave him a slight smile and a wave. "what's up?"

emmy hesitated on telling him."is it always going to be this lonely?"

"it's always like this for greenies, soon it'll get better." frypan assured her but she didn't sound convinced. it was a place full of boys. emmy just hoped next month a girl would show up.

"thanks, fry." she smiled and he grabbed what he came in for and walked out of the room. as soon as the door shut, emmy let out a shaky sigh as she tried to hold back the tears in her eyes.

a/n, sorry this chapter was short i just needed to upload!!!