𝟏𝟔. 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

CHAPTER SIXTEEN — REALISATION
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

SHE RETURNED TO THE LAKE, staring at herself in the reflection. the girl had realised she had gained some muscle on her arms.

the realisation formed a grin on emmy's face as she continued to stare at her reflection. this had been the first time that she had been able to see herself.

of course, she knew that she had most likely seen herself before the maze, but obviously emmy couldn't remember it.

ever since minho showed her this place, she constantly came here to escape the glade. it didn't feel like the prison she had been trapped in for the past three months.

the girl returned to the glade for dinner, approaching frypan with a smile.

"you seem happy today, emmy." he chuckled, handing her a plate full of food.

"yeah, i am."  she said, turning around and heading towards the table with minho, newt, and oliver.

minho's gaze softened when he saw her sit down next to him, giving him a small grin as a greeting. his eyes made their way back to newt, trying to hide the side smile on his face.

"what are we talking about?" emmy asked, looking around the table.

"nothing, really." newt shrugged, pushing the food around his plate before stabbing something with his fork.

"how are you?" oliver wondered, leaning on his hand as he questioned her. "you've been a bit odd lately, after nick... you know."

she grew slightly uncomfortable, shifting her position. "fine."

it was pretentious of her to believe things would just go back to the way they were after what happened. a barely noticeable frown appeared on her face and her energy almost instantly changed.

"cheer up, shank." minho smiled, his hand resting on top of hers for a short few seconds.

butterflies filled her stomach as she stared at her hand, blood rushing to her cheeks as she thought of the moment that had only just occurred.

none of the boy's noticed her reaction, as they were too involved in their own conversation to particularly care.

the group noticed her silence, all three of them looked over to her. she just smiled awkwardly, picking up her knife and fork.

"i swear you're the only person who uses cutlery." oliver laughed, shaking his head as he did so. "you're so weird sometimes."

emmy tried to see that as a joke, but it stung just a bit. she didn't want to overreact so she just chuckled.

"i mean the builders made it, i don't even trust anything that they have touched." the boy continued; making her even more uncomfortable.

"i don't think they're too bad." she shrugged, placing the cutlery down. "i mean- gally can be a bloody shank sometimes, but he's not that bad."

oliver cackled at that.

"wow, has he got you under a love spell or something?" he said, making emmy's emotions quickly turn to rage. "that guy is a dick, thank god you stopped trailing after him."