Altered Sorrows

[Twelve Days ago: Canada]

Within the peaceful country of Canada stood a treatment facility, where those injured or hurt beyond normal medical care were taken. It was primarily used for supporting humanitarian efforts and refugee centers, housing many heroes in need of help. The building was shaded with a normal paint of white and red, as they wished to be associated with other hospitals.

Inside the building, a doctor passed through the hallways, getting every staff member or patient they came across. He wore an eggshell white lab coat, matching nearly every other doctor or nurse he worked alongside. Today started like any other, and each member eased into their roles and assigned responsibilities. Once he approached a door at the end of the hallway, he swiped his keyboard through a red scanner. The light flashed to a green light and unlocked, allowing him to open the door and look inside.

"Ah, good morning Doctor Klein." A nurse inside greeted. She sat near a patient who laid down in bed and held her hands around their head. Her fingers were glowing with a rose pink energy, which seemed to have the patient in a sleeping trance.

"Morning. Still no progress on her memories?" Doctor Klein replied, closing the door behind him and grabbing a notebook. He marked down various boxes and looked at the patient, repeating the usual procedure as many years brought him to do.

The patient in question had arrived nearly fifteen years ago, and the agency quickly got to offering their services and aid. However, this particular individual withheld no coherent memory or sense of self to grasp onto. She had all but forgotten who she knew was, trapped in an eternal loop of begging for a miracle of remembrance.

"Unfortunately not, it's the same as before," The nurse replied, sighing with her usual lack of optimism. She was the sole nurse who tried to help this patient remember her past, as she initially started when she was just a teenager. "If I keep trying to force her memories out I'll cause a psychological break. I hate to admit this... but it might be time to let her go."

The doctor immediately shook his head, knocking away the nurse's thought without any second thought. He promised himself and the patients that they'd assist anyone with success, no matter how difficult their problems had turned out to be. The former sighed and pressed his fingers against the bridge of his glasses. He was not against admiring that her recuperation was tiresome, as this ongoing struggle even affect him.

The patient continued to lay down on top of the bed, peacefully asleep within an endured slumber. She would occasionally bump or toss around, as she found herself steadily growing closer to a fragment of recollection. Her dreams consisted of vague caches of harm and conflict, as one woman sat surrounded in a field of running blood.

"What was that made her forget everything?"

[Zimbabwe, fifteen Years Ago]

"Get back to the shuttle! Everybody get back!"

Flames and lofty patches of dirt flew around the battleground of Zimbabwe. Forty-three heroes had all gathered forces in an attempt to take down a rogue villain group. When the combined agencies arrived at the location, they were immediately ambushed by immeasurable forces. Hundreds of villains were sent a force to attack the unsuspecting heroes, making their defense an unbeatable and lethal retaliation.

"I need support over here!" One hero called out in a plea of desperation. The ground they stood upon illuminated with red symbols before the entirety of their body was consumed in flames. The surrounding heroes were forced to push past their horror and continue fighting for their survival.

"They just keep on coming! I thought this was a small group!?" One hero who went under the name of Atomix shouted, blocking various blades with his arm. By now the sun had slowly started to set for the heroes, taking away their last cling to the light of hope. Within the first twenty minutes of fighting, they had lost fifteen heroes.